TRANSMISSION TROUBLE

Ford F-250

wklytton

December, 14, 2006 AT 12:19 PM

Hi, I have a '01 Ford F-250 diesel 96000 miles. It is an automatic transmission. At approximately 75000 miles, the front seal leaked and was replaced. When I got my truck back, it shifted really hard, it would almost redline before it would shift into gear. Also, the overdrive light would flash on and off. I took it back to the same shop and he said I needed to replace the whole transmission. I wanted a second opinion and took it elsewhere. Turns out, the first mechanic forgot to plug in a wire that tells my transmission how fast the truck was going so it didn't know to shift. Transmission shifts great now. The overdrive light doesn't flash until I get up to 75 or 80 mph. Also, since this whole fiasco, my truck gets way worse gas mileage! Any suggestions? I have replaced the fuel filter also. Thank you for your time.

Bruce Hunt

December, 14, 2006 AT 1:10 PM

That is the 7.3 Liter right? And you do not have it chipped do you? I am wondering and I hope that someone else will chime in, but isn't it possible that the computer needs to be reset for the shift points. That can have an impact on the performance of the fuel economy.

wklytton

December, 14, 2006 AT 2:04 PM

Thank you for quick response. I will definitely have that checked out. Thanks

carundell

December, 14, 2006 AT 3:07 PM

Hey,
Good call Bruce! Definitely Re-flash that puppy before ya go anywhere else! And its been my experience that on those trucks the re-learn is a bit longer than say a sedan! Hope this helps!

Chris

Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma