SLUGGISH, HESITANT ACCELERATION ('76 F250 300 6 CYL.)

1976 Ford F-250

John McClure

June, 12, 2006 AT 2:47 PM

I've recently reinstalled a stock Carter 1 barrel carb on my '76 Ford F250, 300 c.I. 6 cylinder (w/auto trans). The engine runs very well with one exception. When climbing up to freeway speed the engine goes through a sluggish hesitation till about midrange through each gear. As the engine nears normal operating temp the sluggishness decreases some but still is there. As a test I accelerated more aggressively to freeway speed and that makes the hesitation much less but of course driving it that way full time is out of the question. Once cruzing at freeway speed it runs fine. The idle is fine and the electric choke works as it should. The plugs are new and the air filter is new. I checked the vacuum to the distributor and that checks out. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Big Red

June, 12, 2006 AT 3:09 PM

Did you check fuel pump delivery and pressure. I owned a 76 f150 w/ 4 speed manual. I became 1 with that pickup. Best pickup
I ever owned. Let me know if I can help ya.

lungman

July, 5, 2006 AT 10:58 AM

Sounds as if you have a fuel restriction problem, an accelerator pump discharge that is not correct, or float level. Be sure the accelerator pump rod is adjusted correctly. You should be able to see steady squirt of fuel into the throttle body when you depress the throttle rod. Be sure your spark plugs have the proper gab about.35. If this does not help, be sure that your timing is correct, & the firing order is correct. Made that mistake myself years ago! Good luck.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro