2001 Ford F-250 Signal to COP7 stays steady, bad computer?

HAYEDID
  • 2001 FORD F-250

2001 Ford F-250 V12 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

I got an engine code P0357, and determined that I had a bad Coil over Plug (COP). I bought a new one, installed it and it smoked and burned within 10 seconds.

I purchased a new coil (COP) and spark plug, but I don't feel comfortable hooking them up yet.

I did a 12 volt light test on the input to this COP (#7 / G) and the light stays steady (no flashing) and is very bright. (Before I put in the new coil that burned, the input was flashing).

Well, now that the coil input is steady, I know the coil won't work. This is computer controlled. Does this mean I need a new computer. Is there something else that can be replaced that actually produces the flashing 12 v signal or does it come directly from the computer? What is the computer called? Where is it located? Am I looking an an ECM, PCM, or something else?

Thank you.

Thursday, October 7th, 2010 AT 8:37 PM

TECH1FORD

The computer controls the ground side of the coils so if the light stays on all the time it means that there is a short inside the pcm. The computer is located on the drivers side panel below the dash beside the e-brke pedal undo the 10mm bolt on connector under the hood on the fire wall and the 2 bolts inside the truck and it comes right out

Sunday, October 10th, 2010 AT 12:07 AM
HAYEDID

Thank you.

Sunday, October 10th, 2010 AT 12:20 AM
WRENCHTECH

Before jumping to the conclusion of have a bad PCM, you first need to eliminate the possibility that the wire connecting the coil to the PCM is shorted to ground which is more likely than a bad PCM. Unplug the PCM and measure continuity to ground from that wire when disconnected from the coil.

Sunday, October 10th, 2010 AT 6:17 AM