1975 Ford F-250 no charge

EMHOKEESE
  • 1975 FORD F-250
I have replaced the battery the alternator and truck still won't charge runs off the battery untiled drained
Friday, August 21st, 2009 AT 2:37 PM

MERLIN2021
http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_test_alternator.htm
Test as in the link, also tell me if you have a regulator mounted on the radiator suppot, or the fender...and we can test it. If voltage drops as you turn on accessories, regulator is no good.
Check email for Ford Regulators and wiring...
Friday, August 21st, 2009 AT 2:50 PM
EMHOKEESE
I don't understand the link, I am a novice at mechanics, the regulator is on fender below the vacuum can, appears to have three prongs only two are connected one wire is yellow can'y tell the other
Friday, August 21st, 2009 AT 3:08 PM
EMHOKEESE
I changed battery I changed alternator I changed voltage regulator, still no charge truck starts then when I take off ground from battery it dies, any ideas
Friday, August 21st, 2009 AT 8:14 PM
MERLIN2021
You need to check the wires that run between the regulator and alternator. I sent several PDF files to your email, Ford used three different type regulators, so check which one you have, if you use a piec of wire and momentarily ground the field terminal, and it charges properly, regulator or wiring is bad. Battery cables could be another problem, connections need to be clean and tight at both ends. Use a voltmeter, testing by removing the cable is NOT as accurate!
Saturday, August 22nd, 2009 AT 4:11 AM
EMHOKEESE
I discovered my truck has a battery isolator connected to the alternator, can I bypass the isolator since I have only one battery?
Friday, August 28th, 2009 AT 2:33 PM
EMHOKEESE
Thanks for all the help I was able fix the problem, the ballast resistor was a battery isolator once I figured that out it was a piece of cake, again thanks for all the help
Friday, August 28th, 2009 AT 4:05 PM
MERLIN2021
Ok so I assume you removed the isolator and all is well?
Friday, August 28th, 2009 AT 5:21 PM