F150 ENGINE LOCKED. TURNS BACKWARDS, NOT FORWARDS.

1915 Ford F-150

nonewcars

November, 4, 2006 AT 9:27 AM

I have a 97 FORD F150 4.2 liter engine, manual transmission. Recently pulled a trailer with a load. Un-hooked the trailer, now the truck wont start. It will not click, attempt to start. It appears dead. Disconnected the starter, it will turn over. Thought, my God, did something in the engine break? Tried manually turning the motor forwards. No luck. Appears frozen. However, I can turn the motor backwards a complete 360 degrees. Has anyone every heard of something like this? Is their some device that will keep it from turning forwards?

nonewcars

November, 13, 2006 AT 10:22 AM

Well I guess the 2 car pros have never experienced this. It turns out it was a blown head gasket. The first cylinder on the passenger side was full of water. Once the plugs were removed, the motor will turn over in the correct direction.

Bruce Hunt

November, 13, 2006 AT 10:31 AM

Sort of sounds like to blame the moderators but let me put it to you this way. We only have your say on the problem, we don't get to touch the vehicle, we don't get to see the vehicle, and many other things that a mechanic gets to do. Not easy sometimes to diagnose on information only.

nonewcars

November, 16, 2006 AT 5:32 PM

Wow, you responded to my second post in 10 minutes and my first post went 10 days with no response. How about, " I'm not sure what your problem is. I woish I could help you?&Quot; I would have not kept logging on every day to find no reply. Anyway, I realize this is a free site. I hope someone else who experiences the issue I had can now use this information to help them. Thats what these foums are for. I got the answer to my problem from the automotive forums website. It is a nice forum as well. No harm. No Foul.

Bruce Hunt

November, 16, 2006 AT 8:16 PM

First of all I am not the moderator for the Ford section and I sometimes look in on the site and help out if I can. Secondly, we need more moderators but spending hours helping others, though fun and rewarding is not always possible. You are right, the other forum is not to bad. It has issues as well. This forum will be getting better.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Acura TL
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
 Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler 300
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350
Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox