2007 Ford F-150 pulsating brakes

DRH1138
  • 2007 FORD F-150
The brakes on my truck are pulsating. If they were not ABS, I would say that the problem might be a malfunctioning flow control regulator (in hydraulics terminology), but there appears to be no such device in the ABS, and I assume the control unit performs this function. I have inspected the brakes, and preformed a few 'poor boy' test, but can find nothing out of order. My experience with automotive brakes is limited to normal braking systems, like cars use to have, therefore my knowledge of ABS voodoo is very slim. The pulsation is not consistent -- sometimes it does, sometimes not; sometimes more sever than others. Could there be air trapped in the control unit? It has dual piston type calipers; could there be an imbalance between the pistons in one, or more of the calipers?
Thursday, July 15th, 2010 AT 2:58 PM

Have your brake rotors checked out for warpage
Thursday, July 15th, 2010 AT 3:01 PM
DRH1138
Thanks, but that is first thing I checked. I checked cold and hot, made sure the wheels were torque properly, and checked wheel bearings and chaise too. It really has me puzzled. Maybe the rotors are flexing under braking?
Thursday, July 15th, 2010 AT 6:04 PM
The best way to check the rotors for warpage is to check for out of roundness and parallelism with a micrometer
Thursday, July 15th, 2010 AT 6:19 PM