2007 Ford F-150 Loud noise coming from left side axle?

LEGEND1334
  • 2007 FORD F-150
I'm not sure what this is. Happened 6 times now off and on. First snow storm I was using 4WD alot so I thought it had something to do with that but I havn't turned it on in 2 weeks. Wife just said it happened twice on a straight away, at 50mph and at 30mph. Kind of felt like there was ice on the wheel well but there isn't any snow on the ground now. When you come to a stop, it stops. Then you can drive on for awhile and you'll hear it again. Very loud scraping sound from the left side like its on the axle or something? I've never seen anything so I'm wondering if my warranty is still valid. I think I have 100k warranty because i'm sure it won't be cheap if its an axle huh? Front brakes are fine but the told me I need back brakes. Don't think thats the issue either. For some reason I think the 4 wheel drive may be the issue? Have you had anyone complain of this type of thing? Thanks for your help.
Larry
Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 AT 8:20 PM

See my profile. Does sound change when you apply brakes? I recommend at minimum, pulling the wheel and inspecting the brakes. Not familiar w/ your particular rig, but 4X4 usually pertains to front wheels in and out. Rear is, in most cases always engaged. USUALLY bearings remain a constant, getting worse sound mostly heard on ONE SIDE OR THE OTHER (Kill radio--roll down window--listen to see if its all the time making a noise, only on one side). Brake problems mostly heard same way. See if sound is radiating from center(differential).A possible inexpensive or free way to get it MODERATLY checked out, for a better hands on look. Would be go to a MA and POP type tire store. Let them shake it up and check for obvious problem, give you a better answer on what your options are, Around here, people are very hospitable do it no charge, especially if you trade with them OR even not. Send back thoughts and RESULTS

Love, Turddog
Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 AT 9:51 PM
MGAMIKEB
I had his same problem twice. It was the IBW solenoid that had to be replaced twice, once under warrenty. Itis $26.00 at the dealer.
To check, when you change into 4Wheel high and back to 2WD the noise should stop for while.
Wednesday, May 4th, 2011 AT 2:10 PM