2003 FORD F150 CHECK ENGINE SOON LIGHT

• tnguyen010
  • 2003 Ford F-150

2003 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 93000 miles

My truck failed inspection and the tech told me and showed me on the printout that the " Check Engine Soon" light is not illuminated when the key is turned on. He said I just have to replace the MLB bulb. I called the dealership and they told me it would cost $100 to scan it and it would cost a bit more to take the instrument cluster out and send it to an authorized repair shop to repair the bulb, because the whole thing is sealed to prevent tampering with the mileage. Is there any way I can replace the bulb myself? By taking off the dashboard. Thanks.

Saturday, January 30th, 2010 AT 6:35 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

I hate to say it, but they are correct. The cluster is sealed and you will most likely break it taking it apart. It contains a printed circuit board and if it doesn't come apart and go together exactly right, you'll end up with other insturment panel problems. It needs to be repaired by an authorized repair shop.

I wish I had better news. Thanks for using 2carpros. Com.

Sunday, January 31st, 2010 AT 12:17 AM
  • tnguyen010

My friend scanned and gave me the codes P1151 and P1131. What should I do?

Monday, February 1st, 2010 AT 2:54 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

They deal with a lean fuel mixture. It could be a bad O2 sensor or there could be a vacuum leak

Monday, February 1st, 2010 AT 3:18 PM