Engine revs up on its own

SEANDOGGX
  • 2002 FORD F-150
I recently had a major tune up, new fuel pump, new engine and transmission mounts. But now at 35 mph it revs up by itself for a moment. Sometimes it revs as it's shifting at about 20 mph. It's an automatic. What do you think may be causing it to rev up on its own? Its not shifting hard.
Tuesday, September 21st, 2010 AT 12:07 AM

Based on your description (assuming the transmission isn't slipping) it sounds like a problem with the throttle position sensor or idle air control valve. Has the check engine light come on?

Let me know.
Tuesday, September 21st, 2010 AT 10:15 PM
SEANDOGGX
No, no check engine light has come on. I took it to a transmission shop, they said it sounds like the transmission is slipping and the gears making a noise also.I was told it would be from $1,600.00 to $2,000.00 from one shop to fix it and up to $2,500.00 from another shop. But if I find a transmission somewhere else they will install it for $450.00 including the fluid and $500.00 from the other place not including the fluid. I have found a re-manufactured transmission online for $1,374.00 3 year warranty 100,000 miles with parts and labor. So it looks like i'm going to just go that route and just pay the $450.00 to have it installed. Crazy stuff going on with the truck lately.
+1
Tuesday, September 21st, 2010 AT 11:30 PM
Did this happen all at once?
Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010 AT 12:30 AM
SEANDOGGX
No, I was having problems with the truck not starting all the time. Thought it might be the fuel pump, I got the plugs, radiator, air filter, fuel filter done to see if maybe it was mainly the plugs. Then 2 weeks later I had problems with the drive line. It needed bushings etc. I was told at that time I needed new motor mounts. Then a week later the fuel pump fully went out, so that was replaced.A couple days later I had the motor mounts and transmission mount replaced. Then this last week it was started the revving at 35 mph and sometimes at 20 mph.I took it in yesterday and they said the transmission was slipping and the noise I heard was from the gears. My lowest quote to rebuild it was between $1,600.00 to $2,000.00. But I can buy a re=manufactured transmission with a warranty with torque, 2 year warranty, parts/labor, 60,000 miles for $1,270.00 or another place 3 year warranty with torque, parts and labor, 100,000 miles. The cheaper one is from Boss (online) the other one is also from online and searchparts. Com they said the transmission they mention was from the Ford distribution warehouse. Boss doesn't require a core charge, but search for parts does. Overall it seems like a better situation to buy a re-manufactured one with the warranty. What do you think?
Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010 AT 2:20 PM
I agree. Are you able to install it?
Thursday, September 23rd, 2010 AT 10:02 PM
SEANDOGGX
I found a transmission shop who said they would install it and fill it with fluid for $450.00. A mechanic I have used before told me there was a gasket that connects to the engine that needs to be replaced. He said nobody ever tells customers about it but it needs to be replaced.I called and asked about that so called gasket and I was told there is no gasket. It sounded funny to me anyways.I just thought the transmission was attached with the mounting bolts, then the drive line was attached to that and the dipstick up under the hood.I think he was trying to scam me.
Friday, September 24th, 2010 AT 12:24 PM
Honestly, there are no gaskets between the trans and the engine block. Like you and the shop doing the work, I've never heard of it.
Saturday, September 25th, 2010 AT 1:04 AM
SEANDOGGX
I guess there are no gaskets but there are seals? For front and rear pumps. After reading all of the conditions and terms I thought it to be a better option to have a close local shop rebuild the transmission. They said it would be between $1,600.00 to $2,000.00 so rebuild the transmission. They have a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty. The online places said I would have to send back a part if the transmission were to have a problem with the transmission.I know they may have good products but if I were to have a problem it seems like it would be such a hassle. Let alone they require for all new parts to be installed along with the transmission or the warranty would be void. They said you must put in a new cooler, new front and rear seals, and replace any clogged linkage etc. So I decided to let the local transmission place rebuild it. So we will see what happens.I m sure they will do a good job.I suggest everyone looking to buy a transmission, engine or any major part online to read the terms and conditions fully so you make sure you know everything you have to do in order for your part to have a warranty and not be void.
Saturday, September 25th, 2010 AT 4:03 PM
That sounds like a plan. As far as your original question, yes there is a seal on the front pump where the converter goes through, and the front pump has a gasket. However, both are always replaced when a trans is rebuilt. Between the transmission and engine block, there isn't one.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Sunday, September 26th, 2010 AT 12:44 AM

Sponsored links