2001 Ford F-150 flange seal on front right axle tube

WVHEMBY
  • 2001 FORD F-150
Is this a repair I can do or do I take it to a dealer
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 9:45 AM

See my profile, I'm of sorts not a Backyard Mechanic, I think of myself as a Rear Lawn or 2 car garage mechanic.

I am experienced with alot of repairs even Total Rebuilds on Jeep CJs and some other vehicles owned by Family and Friends.

You seem sorta unsure of your abilities.

Taking on a 4X4 axle is involved and does require special tools. Its alot more than Changing your oil, or transmission filter.

The thing that would bother me is: You will be dealing with part of your Steering system. If you are not sure you got it right. You could damage your rig. Or Lose steering at 65 MPH! NOT A GOOD THING!

I will try to steer you toward your best results.

If you do this GET A CHILTON OR HAYNES MANUAL!

Attempt to find experienced help to assist you, if possible.

The dealer is not the only game in town! There are other Mechanics, Just as good, and maybe less expensive!

Some possible less expensive routes might be as follows:

1) A tech school auto training shop

2) Ask a parts store for a "reputable, little guy mechanic"

3) This is the one I would try 1st, (parts store option may not be as good as this) CALL or better GO TO A AUTO SALVAGE YARD. Maybe Several

ASK THEM TO RECOMMEND "YOUR MAN"----They (salvage guys) actually "TALK the TALK" and would know, who knows what they are doing and and who is a SHORT-CUTTER. (Unlike the parts store, who really do not see results)

Please reply with your thoughts and let me know how this turns out.I like replys, better than the "votes"

Hope I helped you make a "SOUND" decision

The Medic
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 8:36 PM