1999 Ford F-150 Turning signal lights

JOEDESIATO
  • 1999 FORD F-150

1999 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 163000 miles

Had intermittent problems with both left and right turn signals. Changed multifunction switch and then changed flasher relay. Bought 2nd new flasher relay and put that in thinking the flasher must be the problem. No blown fuses. Bulbs work for hazard circuit. I get one or two clicks at best and then nothing. Possible open circuit? But the socket connections and wires in the flasher circuit do not appear to be corroding. My owners manual lists no other flasher relay for signal lights in the power distribution box. Haynes manual exterior lighting diagram shows a blower/flasher relay block, but my flasher plugs into a block with the hazard relay just to the right of the steering column. Help

Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 5:34 PM

RACEFAN966

Ok I show a blower flasher relay block behind the center of the dash. But you say that you have flashers in the fuse block. What is the prodution date of you truck. Month and year. Have you checked the brake lights do they work as they are tied together. Thanks.

-1
Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 7:10 PM
PYROSEEKER1

I had almost the same problem on my 1998 f150 right turn signal stoped working. Instead of teling you a long story about lots of time spnt this is what I found to be my problem. The tilt steering had broken one of the wires a short way back from the multifunction switch. Found out later this is one of the common problems.

+2
Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 7:15 PM
JOEDESIATO

Brake lights work fine. Truck manufactured in march 1999. Flasher relay sits next to hazard relay to the right of the steering column, by themselves, not in the "fuse block" (I can feel each one click as I engage the turn signal or hazard. Is there another relay I'm missing. Taking the entire center dash off is a pain but I'll have to do it. Haynes manual lists the blower/flasher relay on elec. Diagram and says it's located behind center dash but doesn't show picture. (This interested me since my blower fan just quit amidst this turn signal nightmare.) All I know now is when I try to follow the wires out of the flasher relay they go toward the center dash as they disappear from my sight with my head wedged next to the gas pedal. Am I gonna find another relay or link in the turn signal circuit if I dismantle the dashboard?

Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 AT 4:49 PM
JOEDESIATO

Thanks for writing. This was the first thing a mechanic buddy of mine suggested when I told him the problem. Did you "see" signs of the wire break(insulation cracked, black stuff from arcing, exposed wire, etc.) My diagnostic equipment consists of a test light, a voltmeter, and two marbles rollin around in my head. I'm guessing if I can't see the short, I'll have to wiggle jiggle or use needlenose pliers to push the wire back up into those gray sockets that plug into the multifunction switch.

Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 AT 5:02 PM
PYROSEEKER1

I have a 1998 and that is correct the is a flasher in the center of the dash its kind of hard to get to and has a black cover over it and another type of relay also replaced this flasher think it was abouth 12-15 dollars. It was very hard to get to mine is almost in line with the steering.

Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 AT 5:03 PM
PYROSEEKER1

When you unplug the harness from the multifunction switch look at the connection point on the switch mine was broken off in the switch and I was able to remove the one wire connector and solder it back. I also took a meter and checked the switch the haynes manual has all the volts each should have.

Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 AT 5:11 PM
PYROSEEKER1

Hey joe dont get lost in some of my key strokes more often my head gets ahead of my excellent typing skills. However the problem you are having drove me crazy for over a year. I just happened upon your topic looking on here for info for a easy fix for air pocket in my cooling system.

Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 AT 5:18 PM
JOEDESIATO

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the flasher/hazard is located in a difficult spot. Center dash seems a little vague, though(thanks, Mr. Haynes) Unfortunately, though, your problem was not the same as mine. Both my left and right flashers do the same thing. Nothing. They both work intermittently. One day sitting in the truck with the ignition on and the signal switch engaged I got nothing for a half hour, then out of the blue, the flasher operated properly for 5 clicks without me touching anything, then stopped again. I bought another flasher and got the same intermittent activity with left and right signals. Sounds like an open circuit/ground short. Right! At least you didn't start throwing parts at the problem like I did. Mulitfunction switch and 2 relays was over 100 bucks. Appreciate your help.

Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 AT 7:38 PM
RACEFAN966

So are you turn and flashers working correctly now?

Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 11:16 AM
JOEDESIATO

No, but I've pinpoint the problem area. I started to pull, probe and tug the 4 wires coming out of the relay socket and got the flasher to work momentarily. Now all that's left to do is take the steering column dash off so I can remove the flasher/hazard relay bracket. Then maybe I can pinpoint the exact loose wire and clean up that connection. Ford does not make it easy to access this. I wonder why?

+1
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 11:10 AM
RACEFAN966

No they don't. I do figure that if the engineers had to work on what they put together it would be. Let me know how it is going and if you need any help just let me know.

Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 10:52 AM
JOEDESIATO

Yeah, I do need help. Here's a funny story. The whole time I thought I was replacing the turn signal/hazard relay, I was replacing the blower motor relay. They sit right next to each other, just like the haynes wiring diagram says. Apparently this is what made my blower motor fail to work. After figuring this out, I put the original blower motor relay back and it worked. Yayyy! Sad part is the turn signal/hazard relay(ford's is a blue color) is still intermittent. I wiggled jiggled probed, etc. And that's doing nothing. I bent the relay blades a little and scuffed em up with a wire brush to improve the connection and I get the signal to work for 10 clicks then 6 clicks then 2 clicks, then nothing. But the hazards still work all the time without fail. I used a test light to determine which wires were the control and power circuit and which wire sent the power to the signal bulbs. ( When the flasher worked, the test light blinked in unison with the signal bulbs) Whoopdedoo! I still can't pinpoint the problem and the two new relays I bought won't make the signal work even one time. At this point it seems I'm either looking in the wrong spot or the new relays I bought got cooked when I put them on the blower motor socked or they were garbage to begin with. If you need another donation for a response, let me know. I need help.

Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 1:52 PM
RACEFAN966

Ok have you checked the turn signal combination switch?

Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 3:49 PM
JOEDESIATO

I don't know what the turn signal combo switch is, but I do know this. I put the new turn signal/hazard relays in the blower motor socket and they both burnt out. Talk about bonehead manuevers of the year. For all future f150 turn signal relay problems, make sure you replace the BLUE relay, that's the turn signal/hazard relay. The one next to it is black, and it runs the blower motor, and it will cook your new signal relay if you plug it in there. Thank you 2carpros, you didn't help, but you did give me a place to vent my frustration.

Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 4:14 PM
RACEFAN966

First off how did I not help? You were taking advice from someone other then any of us that are the mechanics. Here is a pic of the turn signal combo switch.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_274775_1.jpg

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 4:50 PM
SDON1969

I have the same exact problem as joe with my 1998 F150 XLT. Intermittant turn signals. Hazard lights always working without fail. Sometimes I am able to get the blinkers to work by pounding on the underneath area of the steering cloumn/dashboard. It seems more effective to smack the area underneath the wheel than actually knocking around the sheath around the gear shift & multi-function switch. I wonder if this means the problem is the relay, or wiring, or could it be the switch itself? Hard to say. Internet searching has only givin more questions and options on how to proceed.

Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009 AT 6:54 PM