1998 Ford F-150 Anti-freeze smell coming through air vents

CAMBROSE
  • 1998 FORD F-150
Terrible smell coming through my air vents. I don't have the money to take it to a dealer, but a friend told me "that smell can only mean the heater core has gone out". But from everything I've read, there should be water in the passenger's floor if the heater core goes out and there is NONE. Can't seem to find any hoses loose. Don't see anything leaking. A friend who knows a little bit about mechanics said it was the heater core and that he could replace it. After several hours, he discovered that the ENTIRE dash had to be removed to get it out and he doesn't have the tool necessary to remove the airbag. He called a local Ford dealership and was told that only a dealership could have the tools necessary for repair and that it would be a minimum of $650 in labor alone. I don't have that kind of money, but HAVE to get this fixed by the end of this week! Any other things we can 'check' or advice for how to be POSITIVE that the heater core IS the problem?
Wednesday, October 27th, 2010 AT 5:34 PM

See my profile,

I repair MINE, family and friends' vehicles.I have a pretty good success rate, and a lot of the time, I do a lot of investigation, on these newer rigs, to mess with them, (Hence, EVERYBODY SHOULD HAVE CJs!)

Dependent on the severity of a heater core leak, sorta lets you see (or Not!) The antifreeze, might just be a fine, microscopic spray right now!

Usually if it does show up, its under the vehicle, dripping from the A/C Drain.

Ideas you can try:

Best scenario is to fix it, SEE a CHILTON or HAYNES REPAIR MANUAL for steps---tools. THE DEALER IS NOT THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN!

THE GET BY FOR A WHILE SCENARIO IS: Hit Autozone, Advance Auto, or OTHER. Get STOP-LEAK (I have found that the "GlitterType" or the "BARS" (looks like Black Molasses, with lots of Capsules in it [sorta hard to see, in the container]. Works well on issues I have had)

Another source for info, is hit a smaller (Ma and Pop Type ) Auto Salvage Yard. Trust me. They know who does GOOD, INEXPENSIVE WORK (ask them who they would send their own Mama to for a repair!). And who to AVOID!

Your Turn

The Medic
Friday, October 29th, 2010 AT 8:21 AM