1997 Ford F-150 Stupidity.

RTL
  • 1997 FORD F-150
I recently changed out the clutch slave cylinder and throw out bearing assembly. I worked late that night getting it all back together. No problems what so ever. However. In my tired state. I didnt fill the tranny back up with oil. You can see where this is going. Yes, my adhd took over and I started on my list of things to run around and do. Surprise, I smoked my bearings. Nothing froze but it is not drivable right now.

My question is do I need to replace the gears also or just the bearings. I Will be doing the rebuild myself. Will a complete overhaul/rebuild kit cover all the parts needed. And what specialty tool might I want to procure?

Thanks guys and gals.
Saturday, January 23rd, 2010 AT 11:07 PM

Lucky you lol. Once you get the trans apart carefully look at the gears and syncros. AS long as they aren't blue you should be ok and just have to replace the bearings, as long as the mating surfaces on the shafts are ok. Or you can get one out of the junkyard and just replace the trans altogether. Make sure to put synthetic oil in the trans this time. It will shift smoother as well as not burn the bearings up.
Sunday, January 24th, 2010 AT 4:18 PM