1997 FORD F150 LEAKING MASTER CYLINDER

• DeWayne
  • 1997 Ford F-150

Brakes problem
1997 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 169000 miles

I replaced the master cylinder but it is leaking from the bottom. Is it possible that it is cracked. Is there a gasket between the power assist and the master cylinder?

Thursday, June 4th, 2009 AT 7:44 PM

• rasmataz

I thought I've answered this already

If its leaking at the end of the MC where it meets up the brake pedal-The primary and secondary piston seals are leaking

There's no gasket there

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_brake_master_cylinder_1.jpg

Thursday, June 4th, 2009 AT 8:00 PM
  • DeWayne

The seals are on the reservoir, correct? Do I need to replace the reservoir. Do I have to bleed the brakes if I remove the reservoir?

Thursday, June 4th, 2009 AT 9:09 PM
  • rasmataz

Sir the master cylinder is leaking it doesn't matter where its leaking it needs replacing.

Thursday, June 4th, 2009 AT 9:22 PM
  • DeWayne

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, I just asked a legitimate questsion. The reservoir is not the master cylinder and I just replaced the master cylinder. So should I replace the master cylinder and the reservoir

Friday, June 5th, 2009 AT 10:07 AM
  • rasmataz

Replaced the master cylinder but it is leaking from the bottom. This one gave me a curveball.

Sir-you might as well replace both-The brake system is the most deadliest system of all -don't gamble replace it.

Friday, June 5th, 2009 AT 3:33 PM