F150 STEERING NOISE

1995 Ford F-150

J R Mcewen

November, 1, 2009 AT 4:14 PM

Steering problem
1995 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 238K miles

Power steering has a loud " buzzing-whine" sound when the wheel is turned. The pump has been replaced with a NAPA pump 3 times and the steering gear box replaced due to failure. The steering works as should, but emits the loud noise. I was told " it is normal Ford design" but I do not hear it in other trucks similiar to mine. PLEASE help. I love the truck, but can't stand the whinning! Thanks, Jim

Jacobandnickolas

November, 2, 2009 AT 7:44 PM

Have you bled the new pump? Also, I will say this. Ford has had a lot of trouble with their pumps. Everyone that I have seen replaced with an aftermarket makes noise. The only soultion I have found is a factory part.

Let me know about bleeding it.

J R Mcewen

November, 2, 2009 AT 8:11 PM

Hi Joe, thanks for your fast reply. Yes, all pumps were bled. (Two professionally installed) They all were NAPA rebuilds. They sound like small hydraulic pistons buzzing very loudly especially during turning. I read in a forum that someone adapted a Thunderbird pump to their F-150 and it worked and someone else changed the size of the pulley. I had not considered OEM. I know it would be expensive, but would be worth it if it would quiet the whine. Do you think it would be a risk to buy one just to find out it might still whine? How about a junkyard OEM if one can be found? Thanks, Jim

Jacobandnickolas

November, 3, 2009 AT 7:56 AM

If you can find one on a salvage yard, go for it. As far as a dealer, explain the problem and have them guarantee it will fix the problem. As far as cost, it will be more expensive.

J R Mcewen

November, 3, 2009 AT 8:11 AM

Thanks Joe for your help. I'll pursue it per your advise. I can assume then that steering noise is NOT completely in the design. I appreciate your knowledge and time. I 'm of an engineering mind and can work logicially on the problem, but I don't have your mechanical skill and experience. Jim

Jacobandnickolas

November, 3, 2009 AT 8:14 AM

Glad to help. Let me know how things work out for you.

PS: I have a brother-in-law that has the same problem after replacing the pump with an aftermarket. I told him not to do it, but he insisted that I use the cheaper pump. Now it's a running joke in the family that I use junk parts.

Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200
Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe