1995 Ford F-150 95 F-150 headlight switch problem

DROTHBART
  • 1995 FORD F-150
I recently replaced my stereo. I had the truck running with the lights on (had to take a trip mid-replacement) while the stereo was removed and moved the wires around, and the headlights went out. With the headlight switch pulled half out, I had parking and dash lights. With it pulled fully out, I had headlights only. There is one position if I pull the switch out SLOWLY where I have all lights.

I replaced the headlight switch with a new one. The issue is not fixed; it has the exact same symptoms.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Dan
Saturday, May 2nd, 2009 AT 6:41 AM

RACEFAN966
How did you try to put the sterio in? DId you buy the harness adapter for the truck to the new stereo or just cut the wires? If you cut the wires (be honest) then you will need to replace the factory connector (spice it back in) and buy the harness adapter for you truck. See the light switch dims the factory radio as you turn on the headlights this wire is now exposed causing you problems as it grounds out and touches stuff. Get back to me with how the job was done and I will look over the wiring diagram to try to help out.
Saturday, May 2nd, 2009 AT 9:02 AM
DROTHBART
I was replacing an aftermarket stereo. I had purchased a harness adaptor when I installed the first stereo, and remember a few unused wires (dimmer?) In the red/orange group.

When the issue started, the old stereo was removed from the truck, by disconnecting the plug from the back of the stereo. When I pushed the wires into the dash the problem started (no stereo connected). It's very possible that one of the wires touched something during that.

I will check the wires behind the stereo for clues.
Saturday, May 2nd, 2009 AT 9:53 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok do that and let me know what you find. If all looks good then let me know and I will get you the wiring diagram so you can check to make sure that everything looks correct. Get back to me thanks.
Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 AT 10:24 AM
DROTHBART
Thanks, I'll do that. I'm travelling right now for work so it'll be a few days.

Appreciate the help!
Thursday, May 7th, 2009 AT 12:26 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok thats fine. Let me know what you find.
Friday, May 8th, 2009 AT 9:02 AM
SJWEST21@GMAIL.COM
I have a 95 ford f-150 xlt that is doing the exact same thing. What did you have to do to fix it? Thanks
Monday, January 10th, 2011 AT 7:14 PM
DROTHBART
It was a fuse (it's been a long time and I no longer have the truck). If I remember correctly, there are 2 fuse boxes and I had only checked one.

Sorry for the vague answer.

Dan
-1
Monday, January 10th, 2011 AT 7:23 PM
RACEFAN966
Yes there are 2 fuse boxes one in the truck under the drivers side dash and the other is under the hood on the drivers side.
-1
Monday, January 10th, 2011 AT 8:38 PM
SJWEST21@GMAIL.COM
Thanks, got it fixed.
Thursday, January 13th, 2011 AT 10:04 PM
RACEFAN966
You are welcome glad I could help.
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 2:49 PM