1992 Ford F-150 acts like out of gas correct by turning key

• 1 POST
  • 1992 FORD F-150

1992 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 280000 miles

I have a 92 ford econoline f150 with the 4.9 liter straight 6. I just bought it a month ago for a work van.

Ben running fine until last night on highway coming home it missed a couple times and then started acting like it was running out of gas. Bog down when accelerator is pressed until it just dies. If you put it in neutral it will rev up fine and then when you put it back in drive it bogs down again when accelerator is pressed.

If you put it in neutral and turn the key off and then back on the problem is gone for a quarter mile or so, then it starts bogging down again. Each time if you just put in neutral and restart it fixes for another quarter mile or so.

replace fuel filter, bypassed smog pump a month ago, no other fixes tried yet. Motor seems to run very warm but gauges read fine.

Did just break up with a somewhat crazy ex girlfriend. Tampons in the tank maybe?

Thursday, August 12th, 2010 AT 3:24 PM

I hope that isn't the case (lol). You do need to check fuel pump pressure. Here is a how to. Check it and let me know what you find. You will need a gauge, but most parts stores will lend or rent them to you. Check it and let me know what you find.

Let me know what you find.

Thursday, August 12th, 2010 AT 10:28 PM