2001 Ford F-150 ignition

FORDGUY11
  • 2001 FORD F-150
  • 90 MILES
I lost both my keys to my truck, I have called ford and they dont make new keys for cars 10 years or older. I was just wondering if I could just buy a new ignition switch that comes with keys. I know you need to turn the key to take the ignition switch out but I learned you can drill a hole in the key slot and turn it with a scew driver and paper clip. Is there any other steps I would need to follow to do this or would it even work?
Thursday, June 6th, 2013 AT 10:21 AM

Ford in general does a very poor job of supporting their vehicles that are more than five to seven years old but the dealer will still have the equipment and key blanks. Chrysler dealers keep records of the vehicles they sell and can provide the key codes for cutting new keys when there's no old one to copy. I suspect the Ford dealers do the same thing. Your local Ford dealer may need to call the dealer that sold the truck when it was new.

A locksmith may also be able to make a key without destroying the lock cylinder.
Thursday, June 6th, 2013 AT 12:19 PM
FORDGUY11
I called a local dealership and asked if the could make a new one and they said they couldn't because its to old. So your saying I should go to the dealership I got it from and they will be able to make a new one? I'm trying to take the cheapest route and a lock smith was almost 200 bucks!
Thursday, June 6th, 2013 AT 12:47 PM
I would try any other Ford dealership first. There are a lot of 12-year-old vehicles on the road, and if your dealer considers yours "too old" I would tell them that's a real good reason to not buy a new truck from them if they can't take care of it later. Geez, I lost the keys to my Ma's '95 Grand Caravan and my dealer made me two new ones for free last year. (They like me because I fix car radios very inexpensively for them and I save their customers a lot of money). They still had the code available through Chrysler by just supplying the VIN number. They even have the keys in stock to duplicate them from the '60s.

I can't believe every Ford dealer is going to give you the same lame answer. That would imply they throw out all their key-making equipment when it reaches a certain age. The parts department is there to take care of their customers' needs. Sounds to me like they're not doing that. The exception to my complaint would be if this is a recently new dealership and they never had the equipment. That would be a good reason to visit a different one.
Thursday, June 6th, 2013 AT 1:46 PM