TWO DEAD BATTERIES....?

1987 Ford F-150

hobbsw

June, 4, 2006 AT 1:55 PM

1987 Ford F-150 280,000 miles
for about a month my car's battery meter has been in the red zone, at 0v. Recently, I had to replace the battery because one morning the truck wouldnt even crank. I put a brand new optima yellow top in, and today it died, so I am in the process of recharging it. I dont know what could cause so much voltage drain on such a seemingly " tough" battery to wear out. I didnt do anything out of the ordinary when I was driving it. When I turn the key now, nothing happens. The battery is shows 8.4v and the engine cranks twice slowly then cuts off. When it does start it misfires and after I shut it off I cant start it back up for at least an hour. I have a feeling that all these problems are related to one bad part but I cant figure out what part it is.

syncrait

June, 5, 2006 AT 6:31 AM

First off check your alternator belt and see if it is loose or cracked on either side if not remove the alternator and have it tested im going to bet its not putting out enough voltage you can get it tested for free at most parts stores now

KJDIZZI

June, 5, 2006 AT 2:53 PM

CHECK THE STARTER SOLENIOD AND THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR.

hobbsw

June, 5, 2006 AT 8:16 PM

The starter solenoid is brand new, and I am not sure if I have a voltage regulator. I just put a new powermaster 140amp 1 wire alternator and I dont know if it has a voltage regulator in it or not. Thanks for the advice. I also just replaced the belt so its not that.

lsussel

June, 6, 2006 AT 9:06 PM

Its the amp that is causing this trouble. Did you wire it correctly?

hobbsw

June, 6, 2006 AT 11:03 PM

Its wired correctly as far as I know, but that's not very far. I have the amp fused less than 18 inches from the battery, running 4 gauge directly from the positive post to a capacitor, then to the amp. The capacitor and amp are grounded within an inch of eachother. I did notice that if I put the truck in park, rev the engine, the voltage output from the alternator doesnt go up. Does that mean I need/should replace the voltage regulator?

hobbsw

June, 7, 2006 AT 6:32 PM

Today I went out to start the truck and the battery was drained again. Anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Alternator testing done right