Power supply from battery/starter solenoid

BLACKHAT89
  • 1986 FORD F-150
Greetings, I bought a 1986 f150 stepside 302, AOD trans. The wireing from the battery through the starter solonoid was disconected. Cant figure out how to get power to the ignition, accessories ect. Could you tell me what wires go to the battery side of the solonoid. It is the factory wireing harness but one wire had been cut at one time with an aftermarket conector but sliced to it, a black wire.. Thank you.
Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 6:26 AM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

How many wires are on the relay solenoid?

There should be on the side going to the Battery a Green Fusable Link Wire which should turn to a yellow wire which is the Ignition Wire.

On the other side going to the Starter there should be a Blue Fusable Link Wire which turns to a Pink Wire with Black Stripe.

If this doesn't appear right, if you can take a pic and post it.

.
+1
Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 9:07 PM
BLACKHAT89
Hello, thank you for the reply and you are welcome for the donation. Ok, I have four wires that I would like to point out to you. From the alternator harness one black/orange stripe #10 or 12 gauge with orange fuse link. From main harness, black/green stripe #16 with a plug in line. From harness, yellow #16 to black fuse link to black. From harness, yellow #16 to black fuse link to red or pink hard to tell with age of truck. From what you said in your message, it looks like the yellow to red is my battery side of the relay power wire. Do any of the other three also hook to the battery side?I also should mention the truck was built in Canada if that makes any difference in the wireing. Thanks a bunch.
Thursday, May 27th, 2010 AT 8:11 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Sorry for the delay.

I don't have access to my today, I will take a look at the wiring diagrams and let you know. I don't think it being biult in Canada makes a difference.

Also are you able to take a pic and post it?

.
Saturday, May 29th, 2010 AT 4:53 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
This is all I could find that would show where the wires go.
Tuesday, January 8th, 2019 AT 5:55 PM
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1986 FORD F-150
I need to know which wires hook up to the start solonid from the battery it has 5 wires one from the battery one the starter motor, one to the starter switch then two more on has a fuseable link on it but is showing ground but the guy I got the truch from had it hooked to the same post as the hot wire from the battery and the other wire as well
Tuesday, January 8th, 2019 AT 5:57 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
One from battery to the one side of solenoid, the other side goes to start motor.

The fusible links go where the battery wire attaches as they are feeds for inside the truck.

The remaining goes to the little stud on the solenoid as it is the tickle wire from ignition switch to energise the solenoid thus turning on the starter.

SCORPIO110103
  • 1992 FORD F-150
Is the lug with the thick wire on it the ground or the power lead? I thought it was the ground but, when I took it in to have it tested, they put the power lead to that lug! I'm confused.
That cable comes from the starter relay and goes back to the battery it powers the circuit to the starter
+1
SCORPIO110103
How come when I wired it this way, I got a massive pop from my negative battery terminal when I went to reconnect it?
SCORPIO110103
I didnt explain well enough.I was talking about the 2 terminals on the starter itself.1 of them has thick bare wire going back into the starter case from the solenoid. Is this the power terminal OR the ground?
-1

The thick bare wire is the hot circuit attach to the battery terminal of the starter solenoid the little wire is to energize the solenoid from the ignition switch the starter itself is the ground circuit.
ROYBOY22
  • 1999 FORD F-150
1999 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

need to know how to hook up starter wires to starter thanks
BMRFIXIT
Battery power to the big terminal
small wire to the small S terminal
-1
SCORPIO110103
Thank you! =)
SCORPIO110103
Wait. But then where does the ground wire hook up to then?
There's is no ground wire on the starter when you hit the key to start the little wire energizes the solenoid at which time the solenoid shorts out and full battery is being applied to the starter
SCORPIO110103
Where should I put the ground wire to then?
SCORPIO110103
When I took my old starter off.I was left with a ground wire I do not remember where it goes. If that helps. The bolt heads broke off. Had to slowly remove them with a vise grips.
What ground wire do you have down there on the starter-what color is it

There's only 2 wires on the starter (1) red battery cable and (1) small red wire both of them goes to the solenoid.
+1
FADEDROSE
  • 1993 FORD F-150
Anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for the starter in this truck?