F150 BACKFIRE

1983 Ford F-150

nriemer1

February, 26, 2009 AT 5:20 PM

1983 Ford F150 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual

I have suddenly had a backfiring problem, and it is stumping me, as it seems to only happen when I am turning. The problem is twice as bad when turning left, but have noticed the occasional miss when driving straight

February, 26, 2009 AT 5:26 PM

When the last time you had it tuned-up? Check the sparkplug wires if its leaking and also the distributor cap.A/F mixture could be too lean or rich, Air injection diverter valve and the lis tgoes on.

nriemer1

February, 26, 2009 AT 5:30 PM

Just started suddenly, but what would make it happen primarily when turning?

February, 26, 2009 AT 6:08 PM

But what would make it happen primarily when turning?

Honestly I've never heard of such problem-I will check the sparkplug wires they move around when not secured properly and could be leaking into one another

nriemer1

February, 28, 2009 AT 6:48 PM

I figured this one out last night, I had a partial break in the coil power wire, and the retainer for the wire had broken, letting it swing back and forth while turning. This momentarily broke the connection, letting gas build up in the cylendars and exhaust until it fired again, then BOOM! Fixed the wire, and replaced the coil connections also, seems to run fine now!
THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe