GAS MILEAGE ISSUES

Ford Explorer

NTC

March, 30, 2007 AT 10:59 AM

1996 Ford Explorer XLT, 157000 kms, 4.0 ohv.

This problem has been baffling me for awhile, I have been getting what I feel to be very poor gas mileage from my explorer. The average approx mileage I am receiving is roughly 10 miles to the gallon. In the last 8 months I have had a tune-up, fuel pump replaced ( it failed on me), EGR valve replaced ( it too failed ), it has been looked at by Ford and they say it should be givng me excellent mileage ( I go roughly 300 kms on 60L of gas). I have noticed that my trans is takin time to engage in to reverse or drive ( round 5-6 secs ) and it was down in fluid roughly a month ago. Could my trans, if it is going, give me poor mileage?

merlin2021

March, 30, 2007 AT 12:13 PM

I think to be that poor you would have a driveability problem. Do you get any feeling of the brakes dragging?

NTC

March, 30, 2007 AT 2:31 PM

No, I do not feel like that is happening. I have had the brakes completly renewed about 10 months ago ( pads, rotors and calipers)

merlin2021

March, 30, 2007 AT 4:43 PM

The main sensors involved in gas mileage are 02 sensors, But you have no codes?

NTC

March, 31, 2007 AT 9:31 PM

No codes at all and both O2 sensors are new. Has me very baffled. Maybe just wants to be my nemesis.

merlin2021

March, 31, 2007 AT 9:33 PM

Try changing the temp sensor if this is bad PCM won't go into closed loop. This is as if you were running as a cold start all the time RICH.

Cucamongan

April, 3, 2007 AT 7:02 PM

Have you checked your tire pressure?

Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Oil Change and Oil Filter Replacement VW
Engine Oil Change and Filter Kia Forte
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Cruze
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford Focus
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Escape
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement