Ford Explorer

TNMIKEY5
  • FORD EXPLORER
Considering purchasing a used 1999 ford explorer from a private owner. The car seems to be in great shape although it has over 135,000 miles. I test drove it and everything seems fine. I noticed that when I put the car in reverse to back out of the driveway the gear indicator on the dash (P R N D 2 1) did not match up with the gear I was in. In other words when I was in reverse the needle indiactor was between R and N. WHen I was in Drive the needle was between D and 2 and so on. Is that a sign that there is a potential transmission problem looming or is it just a sign of the age and mileage on the vehicle? Is there something else I should look for to identify a transmission problem? As I said it drive fine and I didn't notice anything unusual about the shifting etc.
Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 8:09 AM

DB554
I have one with 250,000 miles and it does the same thing. If you want you can go under the car and loosen the linkige to the trans. From the shifter to adj. The shifter. I have never done this on mine because I never felt it was nessary but it is easy to do.
Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 4:00 PM
HEAVYDUTY
DO NOT adjust the linkage to move the pointer needle for the selector. There is an adjustable string under the column to adjust the pointer
Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 8:23 PM