Changing to Synthetic Engine oil

TFMR
  • FORD EXPLORER
Wanted to know if changing to a 100% synthetic oil instead of the regular oil used in my Ford Explorer 2006 4x4 4.0L would be fine. Should I change the oil filter (even though it is new) so that the oil in the filter does not mix with the synthetic oil?

Thanks.
Saturday, January 13th, 2007 AT 4:47 AM

INDYUKE
Yes, you should always change the oil filter when you change oil, even if you're putting the same type of oil back in (new oil that is). I think it would be safe, even to your advantage to use synthetic oil until the truck is older and is pretty worn out. Then I would go with a synthetic blend so you don't suffer from unnecessay leaks. By older I mean 90,000 to 100,000 miles or more. Good luck.
Saturday, January 13th, 2007 AT 3:41 PM
COSMO
Yes you should always change the oil filter when you change the oil. No matter if it is synthetic or not. Now also don't think that since you are switching over to synthetic that you can go 20,000km's between oil changes. I would still keep up your regular intervals of 8,000km's on the oil (or there around).

Synthetic oil does NOT mean that you can go millions of km's between oil changes, it simply does a much better job of cleaning, lubrucating and cooling a motor.
Switching too it is a VERY good idea and investment in the life and running of your engine. Paying a bit more for oil changes will pay for itself in the long run.

Good move, just keep changing that oil/ and filter together. I was once told some wise words by an old mechanic."Do you put the same underwear on after a shower?". Probably not

Cosmo. Mazda TEch
Saturday, January 13th, 2007 AT 3:44 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Cosmo,
If your desparate you can always go inside out :lol:

They are right on the filter as well as changing it at the same intervals or so. The filter won't hold up.
Saturday, January 13th, 2007 AT 7:52 PM
COSMO
Inside out then rotate to the back LOL!
Saturday, January 13th, 2007 AT 9:17 PM
SERVICE WRITER
:mrgreen:

And that's a cringing Mr. Green
Saturday, January 13th, 2007 AT 9:21 PM
HEAVYDUTY
One of the main reason to run synthetic oil is to extend the oil change interval. On all of the vehicles we service with synthetic we recommend 6000mi change with a filter change at 3000mi
Sunday, January 14th, 2007 AT 8:34 PM
COSMO
That might be true, but then GM says that their plugs are good for 160,000 km's. In my experience, when they are in that long they are not only seized, but they take out the threads. So what they say you can do and what you should probably do are two different things.

I look at synthetic as a way to extend your engine life NOT you oil change intervals.

I have still never heard of an engine blowing up because the oil was changed too much :roll: :lol:
Monday, January 15th, 2007 AT 5:38 AM
SERVICE WRITER
You said a mouthful Cosmo, The maintenance intervals the manufacturers recommend drive me crazy :evil:

I preach maintenance to my customers and often falls on deaf ears. But when there is a problem that could have been avoided by maintenance, we become the "grease monkeys" :roll:

I used to follow the same pattern as heavyduty says for the first 60,000 miles of mine, but I switched back to regular oil. Not only is the 3000 mile interval good on the filter, but if there are grease fittings there they need to get hit.
Monday, January 15th, 2007 AT 5:48 AM