94 EXPLORER LIMITED.......ANTIFREEZE EVERYWHERE UNDER HOOD

• hoosierpanic
  • 1994 Ford Explorer

My 94 Ford Explorer limited has been driving strange for a while now. When I accelerate above 25 or 30 mph, it seems as if the transmission is not catching. If I really slam the gas, it would sometimes push through the stall, and drive fine. It started doing it all the time this past week. Now when I push the gas, even flooring it, the truck seems to not accelerate at all. I was pushing it pretty hard just to get it home tonight, when I got home, smoke is coming out, and I open the hood to find antifreeze everywhere on the left side(if looking from the front). THe leak is not putting the coolant on the ground, but sprayed it upward all over the place under the hood. What in the world could this be? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm taking it in tomorrow, but would love to know what I'm getting in to.

Tuesday, November 28th, 2006 AT 6:09 PM

• Bruce Hunt

I am going to guess here but the poor running could be a leak in to the cylinder(s) as well as in to the engine compartment. Head gasket is my guess.

Tuesday, November 28th, 2006 AT 6:12 PM
  • hoosierpanic

Also, when I accelerate, there is often a very hard rumble to the whole vehicle

Tuesday, November 28th, 2006 AT 6:13 PM
  • hoosierpanic

Unfortunately, that is my guess too.I was hoping for something else

though, I know it's a lot, how much does a repair like that usually run?

Tuesday, November 28th, 2006 AT 6:13 PM
  • Bruce Hunt

I really don't know. I would venture a less than $500 but there are things that could raise and lower that. Just a head gasket or head as well, etc.

Tuesday, November 28th, 2006 AT 9:51 PM
  • hoosierpanic

Thanks for your info

someone else told me that if the coolant leaks into the cylinder, it could scrap the engine any truth to that?

Thanks again for your help

Tuesday, November 28th, 2006 AT 10:31 PM
  • catch_15

Definately. If you get coolant on top of the piston it can lock up that cylinder and bend a connecting rod. If the head gasket is bad, it needs to be replaced right away. From the sound of it, I would agree and say the head gasket has failed.

Wednesday, November 29th, 2006 AT 1:39 AM