04 JUST RAPIDLY CLICK WHEN STAR

2004 Ford Explorer

Buckshot86

October, 29, 2008 AT 4:00 PM

2004 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 115535 miles

I got home from school just fine and started the car to go hunting, but it didnt crank. When I fully turned the key, it just clicked really fast. Lights and radio all work. Past few days it has seemed like the car was struggling to start, but it always did until today. Spark plugs maybe? I really have no idea.
Now all I get is the rapid clicks when I start the car.

dlobi

October, 29, 2008 AT 4:03 PM

The clicking is coming from your starter motor solenoid. Either the battery is to low to turn over the starter motor or the starter motor has issues. Have you tried jump starting it when it clicks like this? If it starts ok with a jump then the starter is probably ok and the battery is to low on power and you have to find out if it a faulty battery or a charging problem

Buckshot86

October, 29, 2008 AT 4:23 PM

Thanks for a good reply. I think the battery is good, because all the lights and radios were working fine. The gauge shows battery power too. I can still try jumping it. I hope the starter motor is ok, but Ill try jumping. Thanks.

dlobi

October, 29, 2008 AT 5:10 PM

The radio, lights, etc take very little battery power compared to the starter motor so they will still work even if the battery is low. The starter has to turn the engine over and requires all the power your " good" battery has.

Buckshot86

October, 29, 2008 AT 11:41 PM

Thanks man,
I jumped the battery and then drove to have it checked. The battery read at 194 CCA and it should be at 300 CCA. Bad Battery. You called it. Ill need a jump in the morning to get to school probably, but Ill have a new battery soon.

Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006