2001 Ford Explorer engine noise

ROOD125
  • 2001 FORD EXPLORER
  • AWD
Loud metal on metal noise for a few seconds after starting.
Saturday, December 6th, 2008 AT 10:17 PM

Hi:
Is the sound from the engine itself or could it be from a belt driven component?
Tuesday, December 9th, 2008 AT 4:39 PM
ROOD125
No, the noise is definetly comming from the engine. Sounds like the lifters or push rods running with no oil. But the noise goes away after a few seconds as if oil has reached the source of the noise.
Tuesday, December 9th, 2008 AT 4:47 PM
Hi:
What weight oil do you have in the vehicle and what temps do you live in? Also, what brand of oil filter do you have? Some have an anti flow back valve that doesn't allow oil to drain out of the filter. If you have one that doesn't have the valve, it could starve the engine for a few seconds.

When the engine is running, does it keep good oil pressure?

Tuesday, December 9th, 2008 AT 10:10 PM
ROOD125
Hi
I use 5w30 and a Fram oil filter. As far as temp, its funny you ask because it only happens when its cold outside (40 or so and under). I live in Co.
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 1:31 AM
Well, the 5w30 is what you should be using, and a fram filter should be fine. The cold weather does have an affect on the oil. The colder it gets, the heavier the oil is at start-up. However, at 40 degrees, 5w30 shouldn't lead to the described problem. For the heck of it, try a motorcraft filter next time.

Keep an eye on the oil pressure to make sure it doesn't get too low. Your oil pump may be starting to develope a problem, but it's too early to tell.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 10:20 AM
ROOD125
OK, thank you very much Joe. You have been very helpfull!

Rod
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 10:27 AM