SHAKES AT SLOW SPEEDS

1999 Ford Explorer

yellowsky7

August, 18, 2010 AT 11:04 PM

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1999 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 156000 miles

My Explorer XLT shakes and bumps at slow speeds and turns. I believe this has something to do with the 4W drive. It feels like the entire drive train is about to blow apart! Am taking it to a dealer to have it looked at soon, but would like to be armed with any information I can get. Bought this a year ago and it runs fine and appears to have been well maintained.

Jacobandnickolas

August, 19, 2010 AT 12:30 AM

Is the vehicle still engaged in 4wd? Also, have you checked for bad universal joints?

yellowsky7

August, 23, 2010 AT 3:22 PM

Actually, vehicle is set to 'auto' 4WD virtually always. Just checked the 4X4 setting and it performs the same. I have not had the U joints checked. Is there some way I can check this or is it mechanic only?

Thanks!

Jacobandnickolas

August, 23, 2010 AT 11:37 PM

Park the vehicle on a flat surface, put the park brake on so the car can't move. Place the transmission in neutral so there is no tension on the drive line. See if there is any play in the joints?

yellowsky7

September, 2, 2010 AT 10:31 AM

Tried this and no play. Also, FYI, problem is more prevalent on dry pavement.

Jacobandnickolas

September, 2, 2010 AT 11:21 AM

It sounds like the vehicle is staying in 4WD. I realize it is A4WD, but the 4WD shouldn't actuate untill the rear tires spin.

yellowsky7

September, 2, 2010 AT 1:14 PM

Just stopped by a local mechanic and scheduled for next Wed. First thing out of his mouth was " sounds like not engaging in 2WD". I'll post what I find out as others on line have reported similar problems. Thanks!

Jacobandnickolas

September, 2, 2010 AT 9:11 PM

That is what I am thinking too. We appreciate your posting the outcome.

Thanks,

benny søbjerg

April, 29, 2012 AT 11:04 AM

Mine makes it also when the car is standing still and you just turn the steering wheel until you hit a position when the engine switched on also when you drive

Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Acura TL
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet