1998 Ford Explorer No Brake Lights

DASTINE
  • 1998 FORD EXPLORER

1998 Ford Explorer V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

Having a problem with the brake lights on my Explorer. I have no regular brake lights when the pedal is pressed, but the third brake light (LED) works fine. The weird part is that even when the brake pedal is not pressed the third brake light continually flashes at a very high rate, almost like a strobe. As a sided note I also noticed that the door locks stopped auto locking when you put the vehicle in gear at about, or the exact same time the brake light problem started.

What I have tried so far:

1 Checked bulbs and fuses
2. Checked brake light switch (LED third brake light still flash even when brake switch is disconnected)
3. Checked turn signal switch (LED third brake light still flashes when disconnected completely)
4. Checked wiring in steering column and under dash and could find no visible shorts or damage to wiring.

Any ideas? I don't know what to look at next.

Thanks!

Sunday, August 24th, 2008 AT 1:43 PM

BMRFIXIT

Most common is the combination switch on the steering column

put 4way hazards on off on and then check if they work

-1
Monday, August 25th, 2008 AT 5:48 AM
DASTINE

Thanks, but no good. No matter what I do with the emergencies. As mentioned, the third brake light continues to flash even when I completely disconnect all the wiring from the turn signal switch.

Thanks again for your help.

Monday, August 25th, 2008 AT 8:07 AM
BMRFIXIT

3RD brake light u said its working
and again combo switch has no control over the 3rd brake light
but the power to the side brake lights run through the multifunction switch
very very common for the switch to go bad
good luck

Monday, August 25th, 2008 AT 11:56 AM
MOEVINGER

I have exactily this same issue. I have a 1998 Explorer, AWD, about the same milage and the problem is the same.

Did anyone come up with a fix for this?

-1
Tuesday, December 16th, 2008 AT 10:53 AM
BMRFIXIT

If signals are working and 3rd brake light is working
multifunction switch no good
have it checked

+1
Tuesday, December 16th, 2008 AT 8:19 PM
SKIPPERDAN

Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem. I have a 98 Ford Explorer with the same problem. I've checked all the wiring, it's ok. The only thing I haven't done is check out the multifunction switch. I do have a book that shows how to do that so that will be my next step. Any input or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks SkipperDan

Thursday, September 10th, 2009 AT 12:59 PM
SKIPPERDAN

I checked out the multifunction switch and it is ok. I did find on my stop light switch that has five wires in the plug that two of wires on the plug are hot. I don't believe that this is incorrect. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 12:46 PM
BMRFIXIT

Step on the brakes does the 3rd light work

+1
Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 4:41 PM
BMRFIXIT

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic1_503.jpg

Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 4:52 PM
SKIPPERDAN

Yes, third light does comes on when brakes are applied. The strange part is when everything is off the top mounted third brake light flickers light a strobe light! What's up with that? SkipperDan

Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 5:57 PM
BMRFIXIT

Have a helper watch the lights for you as you go under the steering by the brake, twist and move the brake light switch looking for a short
also hold the switch
trying to make the flickering stop
and if it does try to get it going again finding the reason
hope I m not confusing you

also does the 4 way flasher work?
Push the 4 way and step on the brakes does that make any difference

also one more question
how did you determine that the multifunction switch is good?

+1
Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 8:02 PM
SKIPPERDAN

Praise God I found the problem! :-) I removed the top mounted brake light and found a faulty connection which stopped the strobe light effect. Note: The top mounted brake light still was on very dim but not strobing. Then I rechecked the left stop light socket and found that the female prongs were not really that clean so I cleaned them up and also did the right side. I also installed new bulbs, fiqured I might as well as I was in there. And all is great and back to normal. I have brake lights. So, if any one else is having this problem I strongly suggest to start with the fuses and then go directly to the brake bulbs and sockets before thinking it is in the multifunction switch! And running all those test. Thanks for all the input and suggestions! SkipperDan is ready to take on another task! :-)

+2
Sunday, September 13th, 2009 AT 12:01 AM