SHAKES OR WOBBLES PROBLEM1997 FORD EXPLORER 6 ...

1997 Ford Explorer

jr309308

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1997 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

i have a 97 explorer 2 wheel drive milage 160000. When I get to about 30 or 40 and try to speed up it shakes like the engine is clogged and about to fall out. Had the tranny replaced, plug wires, belt and air filter. Any advice would be great.

Scotty Dee

Any trouble codes? What kind of shape are the tires in?

jr309308

The tires are in pretty good shape. There was a test on it that said system running 2 lean. But when I get on it I can blow through it and it stops. I have no idea where to start.

Scotty Dee

Okay. Lean would mean not enough fuel. I need to the trouble code to get you started. Or, if you have a fuel pressure gauge with a long enough line to allow you to tape the gauge to the windsheild, you could drive it and watch the pressure at 30-40 mph, or when it screws up.

jr309308

I dont have the code # but what do u think might be causing this. The engine light is not on right now but it is still doing it.

Scotty Dee

It's difficult to speculate without any PID data. Are you going to try the fuel pressure test?

jr309308

Say the pressure is bad and I know it is how would I fix that.

Scotty Dee

If the fuel pressure was below spec, we would verify that the pump is getting power to it, and that would indicate a fuel pump problem. The key to making this work for you, is to try to prevent throwing parts at it and hoping for a fix.

There is a flow of diagnosis that has to be used in approaching problem solving. That is why the trouble code is so important.

Do you have or have access to a basic code reader?

jr309308

But if the engine light is not on will it read a code. I will get a code reader if I have to. Also thanks for the quick responses.

Scotty Dee

Didn't you say it had a lean code? That's a code : )

Fuel pump failures and loss of power to fuel pumps hardly ever set codes. Thats where sperience comes in. Been dar, did dat.

Did you give me any feedback? Good or bad give feedback.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue