TRANSFER CASE

1996 Ford Explorer

lucasl85

April, 16, 2009 AT 10:23 PM

1996 Ford Explorer 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 230000 miles

I have a 96 explorer and the transfer case bolts have broke one by one. I noticed that the transfer case was loose. I cant figure out what has caused this. I have had extreme shacking from about 4 months but when I get up to 55 its smooths out. I am thinking maybe something is wrong in the drive shft. ANy suggestions? Also can u tell me the size of the bolts that mount the transfer case to the transmission?

jgarofalo

April, 19, 2009 AT 9:38 AM

At this age and miieage, it is probable that the transmission has been repaired at some time. The possibility exists that the wrong bolts have been installed. I would suggest that you order new bolts from the dealer and install them with thread locking compound.

Driveshaft vibrations will damage bushings and seals before they will loosen the mounting bolts. However, driveshaft vibrations are usually a sign of bad universal joints or an out of balance condition - either of which can be destructive. This should be repaired ASAP.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Wheel Bearing Replacement
CV Axle Replacement