SPARK PLUGS

1996 Ford Explorer

RoseyJohnson

February, 2, 2009 AT 2:24 PM

1996 Ford Explorer 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 189, 98 miles

where can I find a spark plug wire diagram for a 1996 ford explore? My husband changed the wires, but i'm not sure if he put them back right. Please help. Thank you Rosey

Jacobandnickolas

February, 3, 2009 AT 8:42 PM

Hi: Is the engine missing? If so, most likely they are wrong. I need to know if this has a 4.0L V6

RoseyJohnson

February, 4, 2009 AT 1:17 AM

Yes it seems like its missing and yes its a v6 4.O. Thanks Rosey

Jacobandnickolas

February, 4, 2009 AT 3:39 PM

Rosey:
Here is the firing order and a picture of the engine cylender layout.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_firing_order_2.jpg

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

RoseyJohnson

February, 8, 2009 AT 1:35 AM

I double checked the wires and they are right. Before we put new wires on the explorer was running fine, ever since we changed the wires it idles rough, could it be the we need to change the plugs as well? I called around and to do a tune up it would run around $300. Is this something we can do our self and save some money? My dad was my machanic for all my cars, he's no longer with us and I cant afford $300. Any help would be appreciated, thanks again Rosey

Jacobandnickolas

February, 8, 2009 AT 12:35 PM

Replacing plugs isn't hard, Rosey. I would think you would be able to do it. Before you do, make sure the plug wires that you installed are no against metal an arching. Also, be sure the wires are pushed into place tightly (you should hear a slight click)

As far as the plugs, you will either need a 5/8 deep socket or 13/16. Just unplug the wire, loosten and remove the old plug, gap the new plug (if you need help let me know), and replace it. Also, the your Explorer have a distributor cap or do the plug wires just attach directly to coil packs?

RoseyJohnson

February, 8, 2009 AT 9:45 PM

I believe its a coil pack. Does that need to be replaced as well?Thanks sooo much for all your help. Rosey

RoseyJohnson

February, 8, 2009 AT 9:48 PM

How would I beable to tell if the wires are arking against the metal? Could this cause problems and if so what kind of problems? Thanks again Rosey

Jacobandnickolas

February, 9, 2009 AT 9:12 AM

Hi: the easyiest way to check is in the dark. Start the engine and if one of the wires is arching, you will see a spark.

If it is arching, the engine will miss.

JOe

RoseyJohnson

February, 12, 2009 AT 11:32 AM

Does the coil pack need to be replaced as well? Thanks for all your help Rosey

Jacobandnickolas

February, 12, 2009 AT 12:06 PM

Hi Rosey,

If the plug wire is arching and not the coil pack, it should be fine. Did you find a problem?

Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230