SHIFT PROBLEM

1995 Ford Explorer

jimhof1

October, 5, 2009 AT 7:26 PM

1995 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

My transmission will not shift out of first gear unless I let off of the gas. Shifting is not vacuum controlled, but the PCM module takes readings from devices that are affected by vacuum. The error codes say I have a problem with the EGR Valve and/or the temp gauge. I have replaced the EGR, DPFE sensor and EVR solenoid with no results. I don't show any vacuum leaks. It only odes it in first gear and has been this way for about a year. No slippage, no jerking, shift normal in second, third and forth.

Months ago a local shop said my trans was ready to blow. I don't think that is the problem. The Ford dealership doesn't work on medels over 10 years old.

Help,

Jim

Jacobandnickolas

October, 5, 2009 AT 9:27 PM

Wow! They won't work on Fords over 10 years old? I'm glad they are not like that around here.

Have you checked the shift solenoid?

jimhof1

October, 6, 2009 AT 8:28 PM

I was told it is an electronic unit and shifts based on what the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) sends it. Could that be incorrect? I haven't replaced PCM. I figure it's rather expensive since it controls just about everything the engine & trans do.

I forgot that I changed out the temperature sending unit and the PFE/DPFE sensor.

Jacobandnickolas

October, 7, 2009 AT 7:16 AM

Yes, the PCM could cause the problem.

jimhof1

October, 7, 2009 AT 9:43 PM

OK, three questions: 1) Is there a way to test it?
2) Do you see anything I've overlooked?
3) Do you know a good place to buy one?

Thx,
Jim

Jacobandnickolas

I want you to try one more thing before we move on to the PCM. We are going to reteach the computer what it should be doing. It is called the relearn process.

Disconnect the battery. If you can, let it sit overnight. NOTE: There will be driveability problems until the computer relearns everything.

1) Replace the battery

2) Start the vehicle in park and allow it to warm up to normal operating temp.

3) In OD, moderately accellerate to 50 MPH (if it shifts) for a minimum of 15 seconds. It should be in 4th gear

4) While holding the speed steady, lightly apply the brakes and release them after about 5 seconds.

5) Pull over and park for at least 20 seconds with the engine running and the trans in drive

6) Repeat this process 5 times.

I hope this helps. If there is engine driveability problems, the relearn is to drive the vehicle for 10 miles + to allow for relearn

Let me know what you find and if this helps. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

PS: You're not overlooking anyting. It's the nature of the beast.