BRAKES

1993 Ford Explorer

Alejandro_cobos

April, 8, 2009 AT 10:12 AM

Brakes problem
1993 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

I bought this truck 2 years ago, at the beginning brakes worked well. Suddenly ABS light turned on, I tooked it to a mechanic and told me ABS was not working fine, so he turned off the ABS. Now after driving for about an hour on regular city conditions, the brakes suddenly get stucked whe they are hot, so I have to stop for about 20 minutes so I could go on again. I think it may be a problem in de lines or maybe a disc, in both cases haow could I clean the system?
thank you

Brakes Abs

jgarofalo

April, 8, 2009 AT 10:19 AM

Start by finding out which wheel is locking up. You can usually tell by temperature. The problem wheel will be noticeably hotter than the rest. Check for restriction in the lines by opening the bleeder while a helper steps on the brake. Fluid should flow freely from the bleeder. If this checks OK, then you have a caliper or cylinder that is binding, and must be replaced.

Dave H

April, 8, 2009 AT 10:21 AM

You will need to have the disc's resurfaced or replaced the pistons and calipers need cleanig with brake cleaner to be sure they are free moving ! You can only bleed the brake lines not clean them unless you flush through with new fluid.

ABS Computer Replacement
Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Front