1992 Ford Explorer ABOUT HEADLIGHT SWITCH

JMOOREBUB
  • 1992 FORD EXPLORER
1992 Ford Explorer

MY LIGHTS FLICKER ON AND OFF WHILE I'M DRIVING, DO YOU THINK THIS COULD BE THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH? IF SO HOW DO I FIND OUT HOW TO CHANGE IT? THANKS JANET
Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 2:08 PM

JGAROFALO
High beams, low beams, or both? If it is just the high or low beams, it could be the dimmer switch on the steering column. If it is both, it is more likely the switch on the dash. To change the dimmer switch, you need to remove the shroud from the steering column. There are 3 or 4 screws you can access from the bottom of the column. Then there are 2 or 3 screws that hold the switch assembly (includes turn signal and wiper switches) from the steering column.

To change the switch on the dash, you need to remove the lower trim. Start with the center section. There are 4 screws holding it on. After removing that, you can remove the two lower trim pieces from the dash bezel. They just pull off because they are held by clips. Next, remove the dash panel by removing the lower screws (5 of them), and the 2 screws above the speedometer. The rest is held on with clips. You may need to unplug some wire connections to finish removing the dash panel. You can then remove the headlight switch from the dash by removing the retianing screws and unplugging the connector. Reverse the procedure to put everything back together.
Tuesday, September 1st, 2009 AT 6:34 PM