I have attached a pic that I am going to reference to make sure I am on the same page as you are.
If I understand you correctly, the boot with the red arrow has come off.
You want to remove and replace the entire shaft, item 4 in the pic.......
Yes, that is how you do it. I have attached the info on how to do this. As you said, you have things apart; you may consider going a little more and replacing the bearings. They have been on there for over 100K. I call that preventive maintenance.
Removal and Installation
Loosen the lug nuts.
(1) Remove the center cap.
(2) With the weight of the vehicle on the wheels, loosen the lug nuts.
CAUTION: Do not use heat to loosen a seized lug nut. Heat can damage the wheel and the wheel bearings.
Raise and support the vehicle. WARNING: THE ELECTRICAL POWER TO THE AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM MUST BE SHUT OFF PRIOR TO HOISTING, JACKING OR TOWING AN AIR SUSPENSION VEHICLE. THIS CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED BY TURNING OFF THE AIR SUSPENSION SWITCH LOCATED IN THE RH KICK PANEL AREA. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN UNEXPECTED INFLATION OR DEFLATION OF THE AIR SPRINGS WHICH MAY RESULT IN SHIFTING OF THE VEHICLE DURING THESE OPERATIONS.
Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
(1) Remove the lug nuts.
(2) Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
Remove the hub nut.
(1) Remove the cotter pin.
(2) Remove the retainer.
(3) Remove the hub nut.
Position the front disc brake caliper aside.
(1) Remove the two caliper bolts.
(2) Lift the front disc brake caliper off the front disc brake caliper anchor plate and position aside.
Remove the upper ball joint castellated nut.
(1) Remove the cotter pin.
(2) Remove the castellated nut.
Use Pitman Arm Puller to separate the front wheel knuckle from the front suspension upper arm.
Remove the six front wheel driveshaft and joint bolts.
Separate the front wheel driveshaft and joint from the hub and remove the front wheel driveshaft and joint from the vehicle. CAUTION: Use caution to avoid damaging the hub seal when removing the front drive halfshaft.
Install the six halfshaft bolts.
Install the caliper.
Install the front axle hub.
(1) Install the front axle hub nut.
(2) Install the retainer.
(3) Install the cotter pin.
Install the front suspension arm upper ball joint castellated nut.
(1) Position the front wheel knuckle.
(2) Install the upper ball joint castellated nut. Install a new cotter pin.
Install the tire and wheel assembly.
(1) Position the tire and wheel assembly.
(2) Install the lug nuts and lower the vehicle.
NOTE: If equipped with air suspension, reactivate the system by turning on the air suspension switch.
(3) Tighten in sequence the lug nuts.
(4) Install the wheel cover.
Thursday, January 15th, 2009 AT 10:57 PM