Timing Belt

DUKE BROWN
  • FORD ESCORT
Hi guys! I've recently purchased a 99 ford escort ZX2 sport DOHC 5-speed, it has 105,000 miles. The timing belt is really loose and I know it needs to be replaced but I am concerned to what the tension needs to be or if there's any special things I need to do to replace it. And one more thing guys the car jumps every time I push the car even a little do you think it's my timing belt or the tensioner I just don't wanna fix the wrong thing. Thanx!
Monday, October 15th, 2007 AT 9:49 PM

BLACKOP555
Push it wit engine off and car in neutral? If so then no its not the timing belt. To replace the belt mark the cam and crank with a piece of chalk or soapstone to keep in same location when putting new belt on try hardest you can not to move crank or cam.
Wednesday, October 17th, 2007 AT 8:37 PM
SERVICE WRITER
I'm not sure what you mean by "jumps" I will tell you this though, that engine is an interference engine and if the timing goes out, you might trash the head $$.

Are you sure you don't see the serpentine belt. The timing belt isn't in plain view.
Thursday, October 18th, 2007 AT 6:04 AM
DUKE BROWN
I will have to try it in neutral and update you. The serpentine belt has been replaced and plugs wires all the necessary things. When I say jumping I mean that when I get on it a little bit it jerks like it doesn't have the power or something I really don't know how to explain it it's the first 4 cylinder i've ever driven I always owned 350 chevys.
Friday, October 19th, 2007 AT 5:36 PM
SERVICE WRITER
If you go after the timing belt, do the tensionar at the same time, cheap insurance. Might want to take a look through a minual for the procedure and such:
http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals.htm

Sounds like your describing a hesitation maybe. We can go further with diagnosing, but the timeing belt by your description says that you should do that regardless.
Saturday, October 20th, 2007 AT 7:46 PM