STALLING & BURNING OIL

• Wingnut413
  • Ford Escort

I have a 2002 Escort, 68000 miles. After it warms up and runs for about 20 minutes it starts to knock & sputter then when I slow down or stop it acts like it wants to die and sometimes does. When I get it out of the car afterwards there is the smell of burning oil. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong? Thanks

Thursday, November 16th, 2006 AT 8:32 PM

• Bruce Hunt

Start by checking the oil level and noting changes in the oil level and condition of the oil. Next, pull out a plug at a time and determine if they are oily in nature. I good clean plug should be dry and gray. A black, sooty, wet, oily plug is an indication that problems exist with that cylinder.

Your problems could range from simple to complex but start with the simple stuff and work up.

I take it the car keeps restarting and starts pretty well for you?

Friday, November 17th, 2006 AT 9:33 AM
  • losone

Humm, Bruce is right about checking all the basics. If that doesn't work you may have a timng belt that is missing a tooth causing the engine timing to be off one tooth. The 02 Escort engine had a problem with the timing belt tensioner. Have a qualified mechanic check it out as it is not a home mechanics repair.

Good Luck

Friday, November 17th, 2006 AT 3:44 PM