HEATER BLOWS COLD AIR

• Newfy
  • FORD ESCORT

My 1996 escort has a new thernostat and rad cap but my heater blows cold air

Wednesday, November 28th, 2007 AT 3:41 AM

• Blackop555

Feel the heater core hoses with the car warmed up, is one hose hotnone one or both hoses hot? Post back what you find.

Were you getting heat before you replaced teh thermostat?

Wednesday, November 28th, 2007 AT 12:14 PM
  • Newfy

No heat before, replaced the stat and cap, 1996 ford escort wagan, I fill tthe rad with coolant, start the engine with cap off it blew lots of coolant out the top,
300,000 km.

Wednesday, November 28th, 2007 AT 12:29 PM
  • Newfy

Both heater hoses are cold and they were cold even before I put the Stat and cap, I can drive the car for 3 or 4 miles and the guage stays to the lowest position, also the top rad hose gets warm and sort of hard to squeeze

Saturday, December 1st, 2007 AT 9:54 PM
  • Blackop555

When you replaced the thermostat, did you bleed the system of air? Also your heater control valve may be no longer functioning explaining whyy the hoses are both cold.

Sunday, December 2nd, 2007 AT 8:50 AM
  • Wasime

How do you bleed the system of air?

Tuesday, December 4th, 2007 AT 6:25 PM
  • Blackop555

The easiest way is to put the car up on jack stands, remove the radiator cap and let the car run, and slowly add coolant untill it is full.

This works because the heater core is the highest part of the coolant system, and that is where the air bubbles go, by putting up the front end it makes the radiator fill hole the highest point and hte air purges out.

Wednesday, December 5th, 2007 AT 7:04 PM
  • Newfy

1996 ford escort, 1.9 ci, 200,000 km, new rad cap and thermostat, . When I filled the rad with coolant and started the engine it blew the coolant out off the Rad. I than filled the rad again with the engine off, top rad, hose hot. The in heater hose Hot. The out heater hose cold. I drove the car for 5 miles and let idle for 10 minutes. Dash gauge shows normal, still cold air out off the heater. Could it be a head gasket? Or water pump? Or plugged radiator/heater core?

Friday, December 7th, 2007 AT 7:02 PM