Cooling fan relay location

FORD2000BOLENS
  • 2000 FORD ESCORT
I know every thing sayes the relay for the cooling fan for the radiator indicates it is in the fuse cluster located sort of between the battery and the air cleaner. My problem is when I open the top panel to view the fuses and relays, all I see are the fuses. Can you tell me specifically where this relay is and how to get to it. Also what turns the fan on. I am told it is one of the two sensors near the thermostate. Which one is it, front or back, or what is the color. One is brownish the other is organish, and what is it called.
I really would like to find the relay.
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 AT 8:28 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
The PCM is ulitamtely what controls the fans, but the engine coolant temp. sensor does also help the fans function. No. 34 in pic. below is the engine coolant temp. (ECT) sensor. The cooling fan relay is actual built into a module, the constant control relay module (CCRM). It is in the left front of the engine compartment but does not look like a relay because again it is a module, relays built inside of it.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_2880.jpg

+4
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 AT 8:58 PM
PAGJAC
  • 1999 FORD ESCORT
I made the mistake of accidentally piercing through a wire bunch, which put in contact a black wire directly connected to the battery's positive post and a red wire going to the black box with big fuses in the left part of the engine compartment. I don't know what this red wires powers. Engine runs OK but fan keeps running all the time. I checked the wires, separated and isolated them with tape so they wouldn't touch anymore. I did that BEFORE starting the engine after the piercing incident. It did not have this problem before.
-1
Saturday, June 6th, 2020 AT 12:45 PM (Merged)
You shorted something to power. Double check to see if you can find the wiring that was damaged. I feel power is being supplied to the relay or directly to the fan.
PAGJAC
I did a more complete search and identified the wire that was shorted to power. It's a red wire that subdivise in three before going into the black fuse box. The three red wires go like this: one to a 10 amps fuse (left light) one to another 10 amps fuse (right light) and the black relay identified as "Head" (headlight I suppose. No other wire has been shorted.
1BA3800
  • 1999 FORD ESCORT
Ok my qustion is that a friend was testing the a/c in his escort and was mesing with plugs and he tells me now the cooling fan stays on and the car wount start any ideas could this be pcm I do know a lill bit about cars but I hve no clue what he did any ideas?
MHPAUTOS
HI there,

I would say that he has left some plugs unattached or not fully plugged in, I doubt that he has any crossed plugged as I thing all plugs will be different, start checking what he has touched.

1BA3800
I went over all the plugs I also can not connect to the computer through the obdII port my scan tool can not read how do I go about testing the computer 2 see if it has a good ground or has power going to it and also where is the computer located in this car thanks for all the help
PSCANN2
  • 1999 FORD ESCORT

So recently my A/C stopped working. I had read on some forums that the CCRM was often the cause of this problem in these cars. Sure enough I removed the CCRM tested it and found out that that was the problem. While being careless and not paying attention I bumped my probes which were connected to the CCRM to the battery terminal (The CCRM was connected to the car at this time). Then the car would not start. I knew I had to replace the CCRM anyways so I just went and got one and replaced it. The problem is my car still will not start and when the key is in the run position the cooling fan runs constantly regardless of whether I have it turned on. Someone had told me that by shorting that CCRM I could have surged and burnt up the fuel pump. Please help with engine diagnostic and cooling fan problem
The CCRM is basically a Ford designed control module with 3 different relays built in. If I had to guess, you got a bad one. Have you tried a different one yet?
ASEMENJUK
  • 1998 FORD ESCORT
Engine Cooling problem
1998 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 141k miles

radiator fan is not working along with temperature gauge showing wrong temperature. Thermostat & sensor or sender (don't know right name ) on upper part of thermostat was changed. Same result - they are not working.
2CEXPT
All those good stuffs replaced and still happening-could be a wiring problem, the fan relay or the computer itself
ASEMENJUK
What is the name of the sensor located on lowest part of thermostat? And what is it for?
2CEXPT
Item no.33 is the engine coolant temperature sensor I've looked for an engine temperature gauge sendng switch non was listed.
Saturday, June 6th, 2020 AT 12:46 PM (Merged)
ASEMENJUK
We change the gauge sensor, seems like temperature gauge is working now. What is the temperature, when radiator fan is turning on? Tha car is Escort ZX2 1998.
RKAHLE
  • 1998 FORD ESCORT
I checked the fan and it good, has good 40 amp, still wont come on
2CEXPT
Check and test the engne coolant temperature sensor/gauge sender switch
RKAHLE
Ok changed the unit pulled the fan assy and checked it fan works if I hot wire it, but not with how it should be working.
+1
2CEXPT
Check the fan relay in the CCRM if okay test the engine coolant temperature sensor/gauge switch

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_f1_28.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_f2_24.jpg

RKAHLE
How do you check a ccrm?
2CEXPT
If the coolant temperature sensor/switch is okay the problem could be the CCRM or the computer itself
+1

Sponsored links