TRANSMISSION PUMP

1999 Ford Escort

ktressel

November, 17, 2008 AT 2:19 PM

1999 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I took my car into mr lube to serivce the transmission and they hooked up hoses t the transmission and tried to flush ou the old stuff and install new fluid, they told me the pump would suck up the new fluid but would not discharge any from the transmission. So what happened is they basically added 5 litres to my transmission and could not get any to come out. They had to suck it out down to the proper level. The fellow at ford said there is a one way valve that may be stuck. Is this accessible to a person that is pretty mechanically inclinded or does it have to got to a transmission shop? I could not find any information where this one way valve would be? Any help would be great

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

Dave H

November, 17, 2008 AT 4:15 PM

A/T TRANSMISSOIN SERVICE, drain & refill
F4E III /F4E Type " F" (Escort & Tracer)

Raise and support vehicle. Position drain pan under transaxle. Remove drain plug. Slowly remove oil pan bolts, working from front left corner.
Remove oil pan and gasket. Remove and discard oil screen and " O" ring. Install NEW oil screen and " O" ring. Clean oil pan, and install pan using NEW pan gasket.
Install case plug with NEW copper crush washer. Lower vehicle. Fill transmission through filler tube. Start engine and engage all gears. Check fluid level and add as required

Transaxle/Transmission fluid capacities
F4E-III (F4E Type " F" )
Escort & Tracer Qts 6.4 Lts 6.2

ktressel

November, 17, 2008 AT 9:10 PM

Thanks Dave H,

I have all of the oil and pan removed and cleaned, ready to install, but I have the hose at the top of the transmission removed and pulled out a spring that is in the hole at the top of the transmission. I know can see a steel ball bearing down the hole. It seems to be stuck in there and can't get it out. There is dirt or corrosion around the bearing and it seems stuck in the hole. I belive it is stuck in there and not allowing fluid to travel up out of the transmission, causing the problem I stated above. Do you know if there is a way to remove or get at this ball bearing without removing the transmission and taking it to a transmission shop?

Dave H

November, 18, 2008 AT 5:26 AM

Sorry about the confusion .. the checkball just drop's in there .. it SHOULD come out freely .. try a magnetic stick .. you can get these from any autoparts store .. if you have tried this and it is absolutely jammed solid .. the only other way i can think of is to try and clean around it with a needle to try and free it off .. i'm afraid the only other way to get it out is stripping the box .. i don't have any removal procedure or tips in my manual ... obviously this part removal is regarded as an easy job . MOST TIMES... you seem to be the unlucky one ??

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_drain_1.jpg

ktressel

November, 18, 2008 AT 10:51 AM

Thanks Dave,

much appriciated, that is what I thought, it should come out easy, but no luck, I will try cleaning around it with a metal dental pick and see if I cant free it up.

Where did you get the image of that? Is that a website or from a book, is it accessable to the public?

Thanks for your help again

Kim

Dave H

November, 18, 2008 AT 11:34 AM

No problem. The pic's and info are from. Website. You need to subscribe.

Happy to help. Feedback would be appreciated

happy motoring

Dave H

Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz