TIE RODS

1998 Ford Escort

snifferace

Steering problem
1998 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 112000 miles

When you get your vehicle aligned/tracked, should the tie rods exposed threads be equal on both sides?

Inner Tie Rod

1 ANSWER

Tie Rods

1 ANSWER

mhpautos

Hi There,

No. The amount of exposed thread has no bearing on alignment geometry.

snifferace

Thanks for the reply Mark, but is there any relationship with the way in which an unequal amount of exposed threads could affect the way in which the steering wheel would be off centre when driving in a straight line? I.E. Having to turn the steering wheel a small amount to keep car going straight.

mhpautos

January, 20, 2008 AT 4:29 AM

Hi there,

There are a number of variables in setting the steering geometry. When doing an alignment (as I was taught in the dim dark days) You first checked all steering and suspension components, tyres and wheel bearings. We would centre the steering wheel and start the alignment check. Today most operators just bung on the alignment heads and hope for the best. If your car is tracking well, but the steering wheel is of centre, you can re centre the steering wheel, it is on a splined shaft and you will be able to come back to centre. (If you have air bags, don't do it your self. You can have the track re set if you wish, but a full alignment check would be advised. It all goes back to doing the alignment correctly in the first place.

Replace Tie Rod End
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200