LICENSE PLATE LIGHT

1998 Ford Escort

tonya_1518

December, 14, 2008 AT 4:58 PM

1998 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 109000 miles

I have a big problem with my license plate light fixture. When trying to replace the 2 burned out light bulbs it was discovered that the entire fixture is totally corroded and fried ( on both lights). How can I fix this myself? Is there a way I can geri-rig a small light fixture in place of it or replace the original ( hopefully with instructions)?

Thank you in advance!

BMRFIXIT

December, 14, 2008 AT 8:27 PM

Try and drill it out
find a replacement that will fit

Zackman

December, 14, 2008 AT 9:13 PM

Rather than trying to rig a different fixture, consider one from another Escort. There plenty of 97 - 2000 Escorts at the wrecking yard. Just go in and get a couple of entire assemblies. Just remove the two screws and plug in the connector, you're don

tonya_1518

December, 15, 2008 AT 7:35 PM

Thank you, thank you so much! I appreciate your help with this. I will give it a try!

Tonya

James W.

December, 20, 2008 AT 5:32 PM

Just wondering if we were able to help you with your light problem. You needn't respond if everything is ok.

tonya_1518

December, 22, 2008 AT 4:24 PM

Well, no luck there so far. I called around to all the salvage yards and no one had any. I am still out of luck. But I was wondering about your answer and need a little more clairification. You say to " Just remove the two screws and plug in the connector, you're don" where are these 2 screws located at? I don't know what I am looking for. Are these way up under the trunk? How far to reach to get to them? Am I needing to also replace the wiring assembly? I don't know if the wire assembly is bad too. All I know is the 2 light bulb fixtures are bad.

One of the guys at the salvage yards said I needed the housing for it but didnt say if the wire assembly came with it or what.

Please help! I can't drive my car after dark because of this and I am risking a ticket.

Thank you!

tonya_1518

December, 22, 2008 AT 4:28 PM

Thank you for your reply and concern. I haven't had any luck with this. I left another post here below. I hope someone can help me find another fixture for my license plate light.

Thanks again

ImpalaSS

December, 28, 2008 AT 9:55 PM

Hello -

Which one of the pics are you needing.....Pic 1 or Pic 2

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Picture1_41.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Picture2_31.jpg

tonya_1518

Oh wow thats nice for you to display a pic. Its more like PIC 2. Would a 1997 or 2000 model work? I hope to hear from this soon, Thanks so much for your help, I appreciate this so much!

Tonya

ImpalaSS

Hello -

By the pics I see - it looks like a 1997 or 2000 is the same. To be sure you can contact the parts department at the dealer and ask them if the part numbers are the same for a 1997 and 2000 as the 1998. If they are you are in.

tonya_1518

January, 3, 2009 AT 11:31 AM

Thank you for your info. I will check with the dealership about that. I guess they designed this car poorly because I have never seen a car where the license plate assembly gets toasted, most likely from water getting down into the fixture. IMHO this should never happen.

As for the manual, I am laid off at the present time and cannot afford it. Thats why I am here, hoping to get information at a lower cost. Thank you for the offer anyway.

"Your welcome" on the donation

Tonya

Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Headlight Lens/Housing Replacement Mini
Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Headlight Bulb Replacement Volkswagen Jetta
Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement Hummer H2
Windshield Washer Reservoir Replacement