DIED-WON'T START

1996 Ford Escort

Oilcan_Boyd

July, 29, 2006 AT 10:56 AM

I have a 1996 Ford Escort 5 speed 2.0L 118,224 miles. It started fine the other day, I pulled out of the driveway traveled 500 feet to the stop sign and it died as I stopped. Now it won't start.

It is not getting spark. It has power to the coil pack, but doesn't seem to be getting a fire signal. The #2 pin on the 3 pin connecter has battery voltage the other two show a couple millivolts. Ther are no codes in the ECU.

Where and what do I check next? Crank position sensor, cam sensor.

Mikeybdman

July, 29, 2006 AT 5:44 PM

It is logical that the crank shaft sensor is the cause. The crank sensor sends a signal for the ignition, and the cam shaft sends the signal for the fuel injector timing.
In both cases the PCM takes the imput and supplies the power to the ignition coil pack. Safe bet is that the crank sensor is the problem.

Oilcan_Boyd

July, 29, 2006 AT 9:13 PM

I' m not familiar with Ford engines. Do you know where the crank sensor is located?

Mikeybdman

July, 30, 2006 AT 1:53 PM

The image shows this one located beside the oil filter and mounted to the block with its pickup on the crankshaft bellhousing.

REMOVAL
Disconnect battery ground cable. NOTE: When the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 miles) or more to relearn the strategy.
Raise and support vehicle.
Remove the RH front fender splash shield.
Disconnect Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor electrical connector.
Remove retaining bolts and remove CKP sensor.

INSTALLATION
To install, reverse removal procedure.
Tighten to 5-7 Nm (40-61 lb in).

Oilcan_Boyd

August, 1, 2006 AT 7:49 PM

The crank sensor was the problem. Thanks for your help.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test