1995 Ford Escort Oil Separator Hose

SCHERERNWYRK
  • 1995 FORD ESCORT
I've got a 1995 Escort LX 1.9L and I've been slowly repairing/replacing wearing parts on it as needed. I bought the car with 100,000 miles on it and it's run great to date but I recently changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and pcv and during the process noticed that the hose connecting the pcv to the manifold is somewhat dryrot at the pcv connection and the rubber elbow connection at the manifold is collapsing which seems to be restricting air pass through. Now although I am somewhat limited in knowledge, I do believe that this is a vacuum hose and I would like to replace it but there's one small problem... I can't find it anywhere. I looked up the nomenclature for it and it is described as an oil separator hose; is there another name for this? Do you know where I might be able to locate it. One other hose that needs replacing is connected from the valve cover to the air filter box; is there a name for that and again, any ideas where I can find it? Generally, it seems that these types of parts are difficult to locate, do you know of a general source for them? (See hoses intersecting in attached photo)

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/346778_Oil_Separator_Hose_Intersecting_Valve_Cover_To_Air_Filter_Hose_II_1.jpg

[img]
Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 8:31 AM

RACEFAN966
OK no parts store is going to have PCV hose per say. I go to my local Napa and use there multi duty hose (it is red in color). This hose is oil compatable therefore oil won't break it down. This hose only comes in bulk so just measure the length needed and the inside diameter and relace it. The PCV elbow is usually available in the help line. Hope this helps.
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009 AT 10:56 AM
SCHERERNWYRK
OK! Your answer is totally a non-answer racefan966. When I said everywhere, did you think I just meant the parts store down on the corner? As for the hose suggestion, I have a feeling that you are not familiar at all with the Escort (no need to rebute, I don't care). If you knew what you were talking about, you would know that the PCV, actually, Oil Separator Hose, Is not a hose at all but rather a metal insulated tube with a rubber fitting at each end! Wanna take a guess why they insulate the tube? That's correct! Because it spans the valve cover! So are you still suggesting that I retrofit a hunk of hose to the elbow which is not the part connected to the actual pcv bye the way, it is connected to the intake manifold! So I take this oil resistant hose and lay it across my screaming hot valve cover? Is that what your saying? Just set it and forget it? Or wait. Set it and wait for the smoke to start billowing out from under the hood! I'll be sure to carry a pack of hot dogs and buns and a couple of sticks wherever I go, cause I never like to let a good fire go to waste! And which help line is this supposed PCV Elbow available?

Bye the way, I did go to 2 local NAPA stores and the only thing they had to say was good luck with that!

As for the second part of the question. Oh wait, did you read that? Anyway, that's pretty much a no-brainer, what I was actually looking for (if you understood the context of the latter part of the letter) were possible suggestions, as to where to locate hard to get parts for Ford Escorts, so I'm guessing that you either don't have a clue or just didn't get that far in my question!

Bye the way, did you actually look at the detailed photograph that I posted?

I would have to say that I wouild like my donation back please!
-2
Thursday, April 23rd, 2009 AT 5:47 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok first off I am a FORD TECH. I almost didn't answer as you are not being very understanding. I know about the metal tube on one end is an elbow DORMAN NUMBER 46017 pic below. The other end is usually a short piece of hose that is where the multi duty hose comes in it handles more the 300 degree temp too!!!!! I hope this better answers you question. I know you don't care but all you had to do if you didn't understand my answer is simply just ask no need to get like that. This elbow is available at you local Napa and many other parts stores.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_46017_1.jpg

+1
Thursday, April 23rd, 2009 AT 10:32 AM