1993 Ford Escort Part 2 of my transmission question

• 2 POSTS
  • 1993 FORD ESCORT

1993 Ford Escort 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

Ok, I found the dipstick and followed the owners guide on how to check the level of the transmission fluid. It appears to be at a normal level but it also appears dirty to me. Since I do not know what transmission fluid is supposed to look like, I can hardly be a good judge on whether it is dirty. The fluid looks like a brown with pink highlights, like the color of a bruise on an apple skin. Is that clean or dirty? What should the transmission fluid look like?

Also, the owner's manual said to turn the car on, engage each gear (but did not say to drive the car) then check the fluid while the car is in park and running. Should I have driven the car? If so, how far?

Monday, June 16th, 2008 AT 7:09 PM

Ok, with the Tranny Fluid looking brownish it is time to do a fluid and filter change. Good fluid look red or some people say pink. Dirty or Burnt fluid looks brownish, Smell the fluid what does it smell like?

To check tranny fluid level you need to have the vehicle at Normal Operating Temperature. You don't have to drive it anywere, just let it run till its at operating temp or if you have an errand to run do it then check fluid level.

Tuesday, June 17th, 2008 AT 11:22 PM