1991 Ford Escort dirty fuel problem

• 1991 FORD ESCORT

1991 Ford Escort 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

For reasons I wont go into here, I had to offload fuel from an RV that had been sitting around for a year or more. I siphoned it off a gallon at a time into a gas can, and used a funnel to put in into the Ford, and before I knew it had overfilled the latter. I suspect there was either rust or water, because it sputtered when I tried to start it, and soon stalled.

1) The check engine light came on which I understand due to the over filling – can I make it go away by disconnecting the battery?

2) Can I disconnect the gas line at the engine, run the pump to clear the line? If so, where do I disconnect it. If not, what do you recommend?

Thanks GH.

Wednesday, May 14th, 2008 AT 4:43 PM

Overfilling wont set a light. It is most likely from the engine running poorly. SInce there is a possibility of teh fuel being bad, I would drop the tank out of the car and clean it out, otherwise you may never get all the contaminent out. Siphon the tank as low as you can first, then remove it, it will be akward if it has fuel in it, it will slosh around on you

Thursday, May 15th, 2008 AT 7:56 AM