Several times a minute after starting and usually a lower speeds, she 'stumbles' for a split second and then runs normal for a while. Very random and very annoying.
Here is what I have done so far:
1. Replaced the fuel filter (and it WAS a mess w/dirt and rust inside). Although I didn't drain the fuel tank, I did cycle the fuel pump 4 or 5 times to pump fuel thru the line and out into a bucket.
2. Replaced all 8 sparkplugs (very badly eroded eletrodes but light brown residue on all). Also replaced all plug wires (whoever designed the access on this beast ought to be shot. Took me 6 hours and chewed up both hands to do plugs and wires!).\
3. Replaced the coil
4. Checked the air filter
5 replaced a bad looking vacuum hose and a breather type hose that fell of the air filter.
6. Used lots of "Sea Foam" and a couple of bottles of 'heat'. Ran a tank and a half of gas thru with them in it.
7. Replaced the distributor cap and the rotor.
8. Just now decided to drain some of the fuel and it had noticable rust/dirt in it. Probably out to change the fuel filter again huh?
NONE of these things made a difference. Engine STILL runs rough (no let me say BURPS or twitches at least once or twice a minute) below 45 or so miles and hour. However, while cruising along at 55 mph it seems to be ok or barely noticable at the higher rpms.
Would a bad or clogged fuel injector do this? I have never messed with injectors before. Vehicle has 73K miles on it. And other than changing the oil and replacing an exhaust manifold to pass inspection, I haven't had any trouble (and, didn't do any other regular mainenance). There is no check engine light showing.
Thanks for your help.
have the same problem?
Monday, April 23rd, 2007 AT 2:06 PM