1992 FORD CUSTOM AFTER RUNNING A WHILE MY TRUCK WON'T START

• davhrt1
  • 1992 Ford Custom

1992 Ford Custom V8 Four Wheel Drive Manual 181869 miles

I recently bought this truck. In the morning it starts up fine. But after it runs a while, if I shut it off it won't fire up. If I let it set for several hours it starts right up again. It does miss some too at a certain spot in pressing the gas peddle down. Also when im trying to start the engine after its ran a while I get a heavy gas smell. It is fuel injected so I don't press on the gas peddle to start it. I did change the plugs but that didn't help.

Monday, August 2nd, 2010 AT 6:31 PM

• rasmataz

If it refuses to start don't wait for nothing- do below to find out if its fuel or spark problem that's causing it not to start-something has to give.

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

Monday, August 2nd, 2010 AT 6:46 PM
  • davhrt1

Thanks ill check on that. One thing I forgot to mention earlier is. I can push start it just fine and it will run till I shut it off. Then it's back to not firing up when I turn the switch until it cools off.

Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010 AT 3:04 PM
  • rasmataz

Sounds like the ignition switch is failing

Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010 AT 3:18 PM