FRONT HUB REMOVAL

Ford Crown Victoria

odnrk9

February, 3, 2007 AT 3:11 PM

I recently experienced a wheel bearing going bad, and through research online I found that the front hub must be removed and replaced. I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone advise? This is on a 2001 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, with the 4.9L engine. It has 140,000+ miles.

Thanks much!

jeftfields

February, 3, 2007 AT 5:28 PM

Should be able to remove front tire, brake assembly, rotor should slide off, remove the center bearing cap, remove the nut under the cap, slide off the bearing, as a unit, then just reverse the procedure.

TaurusWheel

February, 3, 2007 AT 6:35 PM

He's pretty much right.A buddy of mine did it on a 99 Crown Vic, the hub and bearing came off without a puller. Very important not to re-use the hub retainer, it is designed as a one-use piece. If you re-use it, there's a chance it may back itself off and your assembly will fall off the car, or at the least cause major damage to the parts. As long as you haven't damaged any related parts due to the bad bearing, shouldn't be too bad of a job. Unless Ford has totally changed their design.

odnrk9

February, 3, 2007 AT 8:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Can anybody advise if the spindle lock nut comes with the replacement hub/bearing assembly?

Service Writer

February, 3, 2007 AT 8:25 PM

Not normally.

odnrk9

February, 4, 2007 AT 1:32 PM

So I would have to locate one separately? Are those a common part to be found at a dealership?

Service Writer

February, 4, 2007 AT 4:14 PM

The dealership should have them, (if they don't it makes you wonder if they change them).

I have had the best luck with Timken brand myself, get the unit first and see what it has. I'd be surprized, but you never know!

odnrk9

February, 5, 2007 AT 12:20 AM

Thanks for all the help. Doesn't make sense to me why the spindle locking nut wouldn't be included, especially when they advise to throw away the old one and replace with a new one. I fully intend to replace it with a new one, though.

Service Writer

February, 5, 2007 AT 5:56 AM

Like I said, get the unit and see, some do.

There are many strange and illogical situations within the auto repair world due to the human factor.

odnrk9

February, 5, 2007 AT 10:02 AM

Thanks!

odnrk9

February, 5, 2007 AT 3:51 PM

Well, I just picked up the part. No spindle lock nut. I had to order one. Can anybody advise what size it is, so I can be sure I have all the tools I need before I get started? Does it need torqued?

Wheel Bearing Hub Replacement
CV Axle Replacement
CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima
CV Axle Replacement
Wheel Bearing Replacement